Pontiac GTO Forum banner

How to verify a vin number?

6K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  psilentchild 
#1 ·
I was looking at buy a 69 GTO. The guy gave me the vin, which is only 13 characters. I thought it was 17 characters, but I could be wrong. How can I verify it's the correct VIN?

#8 ·
It's a '68 Lemans with a GTO hood that someone installed aftermarket hood pins. GTOs nor Lemans had pins. The rear tail lights are Lemans. and so is the engine. '68 GTOs came with 400s. Looks like someone was in the process of cloning it into a GTO. Most GTOs had an endura bumper like mine. Some did have chrome. Lemans had chrome.

#11 ·
Nothing wrong with a Lemans. The seller is doing a little false advertising IMO. As far as the price, I think it's a little high, but, that's just my opinion. Hopefully others will weigh in with their opinions........

#15 ·
Basically the seller is asking a GTO price for a Lemans. My suggestion would be to go see the car and if it meets your expectations and work you are willing to put into it, then make an offer. For a Lemans it could be in the $4-5k range. I personally hate that it has a Chevy motor and that would factor into any offer I would make.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.