Pontiac GTO Forum banner

68 serial numbers

5K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  68greengoat 
#1 ·
I know if I did not have the original engine for my 68, I would be interested in finding it. I recently saw an ad for a couple 400 blocks with the serial numbers 166496 and 650249. I know this is like a needle in a hay stack, but thought I would post them just in case. Matt

#2 · (Edited)
One of those numbers would need to match the engine unit number on your PHS to be the correct block. Like you said, a needle in a haystack....... Are you sure your current engine isn't matching? You can compare the engine vin to the cars vin. Last 6 digits of each would need to match... First I would verify if it's a '68 or not. If not, don't worry about the engines vin. The date code is cast by the distributor. Ex B248, 8 being the year '68.

#3 ·
Sorry for not communicating effectively. My block serial number and VIN match. I was saying that if it didn't, I would be interested in finding it. That is like looking for a needle in a hay stack. Does that make better sense?

Date code for 166496 is I-15-7
Date code for 650249 is C-27-8

#4 ·
You communicated just fine, Mathew. I just read your first post too fast and thought you were looking for the matching block.. My fault....... Nice that your numbers match..... :)

#7 ·
:cool Oh man, it can be worse than that. My GTO has spent her entire life the the metro area. I've traced her owners back to the very early 1980s in an attempt to determine what happened to her original mill. I'm currently stuck looking for a divorced guy who does not want to be found. Worse, none of the previous owners gave a rat's rectum if the car had the original engine or not, the best they can tell me is that they didn't replace the engine. The chances that the number matching block is just sitting in a garage somewhere waiting to be reunited with the car are zeropointzerozerozerozeroone...

#9 ·
Are you in the local GTO club ? There are a few guys in there that may have lists and sources for engines to check.

#8 ·
Sort of on the same topic...if anyone is looking for their original 400 4-speed '68 WS code engine this one has been on Houston craigslist off and on for quite a while.

1968 GTO 400 engine

I've been looking for a good block to start building a replacement for my original numbers matching 400, but the price on this one is WAY out of line IMHO, unless you really want a '68 4-speed block and/or the VIN matches your car.

Later
Jeff

#10 · (Edited)
That's the right block for mine, now only if the vin matched. My '68 started it's life in OK.

The way it's being sold is, if your '68 originally came with a WS block, his block will make it a numbers matching. Well, that's only half of the equation..... Would make my car period correct, at the very least. Not sure how important that is in my situation.........

I inquired about the vin, if I get it I'll post it up....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.