Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Will dealer do the right thing?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Papa Rad 
#1 ·
I have an oil leak coming from my oil filter adapter cover. The leak is coming through the stud hole and seeping between the stud and nut. I changed the gasket to no avail! The bad part is this stud goes straight through the oil pan and attaches to an oil tube assembly. There is a gasket in the oil cavity side as well as the one for the cover...which means the oil pan will probably need to be pulled so this inner gasket can be addressed. I'm just wondering if the dealer will go the extra mile and do this properly, or will they cut corners, like use gasket and thread sealer, to bandaid the problem. I suppose if they stop the leak, I'm OK. I have a pic included to show the leak.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I think that would largely depend on the dealership. Where I go, I would trust them to do the 'right thing' since they've always done that the times I've had work done by them.

#3 ·
So......I got my oil leak fixed! Dealer told me they replaced the gasket....but I already changed the gasket to no avail! Got under her tonight to see if my suspicions were correct.....and they WERE! Thread seal/lock on the leaking stud and nut!! I'm not surprised! Anyway she's not leaking and I'm happy about that! :)

#4 ·
Thats why I do all my own work as much as I can. I just dont trust people to do the quality of job that I want. And for the things I do pay people to do, I give them specific instructions and check it all out before I drive the car away. Granted they arent always happy about it but I'm not paying them 30 bucks an hour to do spotty work.

#5 ·
Well my leak sprang up again seeping through the lock seal. It was time to take matters into my own hands.....got some Mr Gasket pipe tape, wrapped the 2 studs and got the nuts back on. It's been a month and still bone dry!! I'm in no position to pull the motor and drop the oil pan to do the perfect job, so this will do nicely! ;)

#6 ·
and as long thats working, Dont fix it if it isnt broken.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.