1970 GTO Judge color change - Page 2 - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 GTO General Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (172)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05GTO View Post
I believe in 70 the 455 wasn't available on the Judge or with Ram Air, If I am wrong I would love to see those PHS documents,
That's what I thought too but I was gonna research it first before posting. Ya beat me to it!!

Check the rear end as Randy suggested.... 10 or 12 bolt? 455 "should" be a 12 bolt.

PHS will state the Judge code: 332 a 337.02 option

Regardless...... your concern about changing colors for numbers matching is now mute.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
qpb

My Photos: (1)
I sent for my own PHS and will get the final scoop on its identity... as I said before though, Vin# 242370P.... and body tag say she is a Judge. After further research, and your helpful input sent me crawling all over the engine, and Internet ... I believe it's a 400,,, will keep you posted :-). Thanks!
qpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALKYGTO View Post
Sorry, I say for an original Judge, for max value, go with the Granada Gold and Sandlewood. I've seen GTO's in this color combo and I personally think they look classy and beautiful. Make your GTO stand out with a quality resto, not a flashy color. JMO.

That said, it is your car and you should do what you want if you plan to keep it.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Administrator

My Photos: (473)
Quote:
Originally Posted by qpb View Post
I sent for my own PHS and will get the final scoop on its identity... as I said before though, Vin# 242370P.... and body tag say she is a Judge. After further research, and your helpful input sent me crawling all over the engine, and Internet ... I believe it's a 400,,, will keep you posted :-). Thanks!
If the engine is a 455, In 1970 pontiac had a 455 cast on the driver's side of the block.

05GTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
64-67 Expert

My Photos: (2)
What all these gents said: keep it original. Anybody plunking down 40+ k for a Judge will not want to deal with the 10 to 20,000 dollars additional required to make it the "correct" color. These cars are too high end these days to modify, IMO. I'd go back to the "bland" color combo and stand out from the crowd of red and orange Judges, personally.
geeteeohguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:04 AM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
I would return or eat the paint, and stick with original colors if matching number Judge.
JudgeSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #17 (permalink)
qpb

I found out what it is!

Quote:
We have 1970 GTO Judge, born Granada Gold with Sandlewood interior... YUK!
What are your opinions about changing the colors to Cardial Red with Black interior? The car is numbers matching, 455 with Ram Air lll. The car is also registered with PHS. Restoring for resale and currently has a real bad Orbit Orange paint job (it is how I bought it). Any thoughts?
PHS Doc & window sticker states: 400 Ram Air III, Turbohydromatic Automatic columb shift, AC, PS, Front Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, 8 track Tape, Tinted Glass, Ant. In Windshield
Vin#. 242370P196458. Eng# 20P196458. Granada Gold with Sandalwood Int.

Now I heard that Automatic on the columb is very rare...
That Ram Air III with AC is very rare and to top it off, in Granada Gold this car could be one of one!!! Who knows... What I do know is I apparently have a rather special car that I changed the color on, inside and out... Lol! Good thing I wasn't planning on selling it for REAL BIG Bucks!
Old 11-28-2012, 05:28 AM   #18 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Regarding the earlier post on it being a 455. According to the GTO Red Book. A 455 could be ordered with the Judge for late in the model year 1970. I do not believe the Judge ever came with column shift. I could have sworn I read that somewhere. As I recall All Turbo hydro matics were console and manuals were Hurst T handles. If this is a real judge with a column shift it was special ordered?
Old 11-28-2012, 06:02 AM   #19 (permalink)
qpb

Rare!

It says right on the PHS and window sticker Columb Shift... Now how bad have I messed up with a inside and out color change? Maybe not that bad, cause it rarity will make up for being incorrect color
Old 11-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #20 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
It says right on the PHS and window sticker Columb Shift... Now how bad have I messed up with a inside and out color change? Maybe not that bad, cause it rarity will make up for being incorrect color
IMO? As rare as it is with a column shift unless a collector is willing to shell out $ for it, I would think the column shift as rare as it is would hinder the resale value over the color change. The originality is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. For a collector, changing the color inside and out won't be the issue its that Judge Column shift the collector will focus on. For the "average" guy who would want the car to drive or show it at events, the column shift's first reaction will be "clone." Having copies of the documentation on hand for those events will add to the correcting of those assumptions.

Jim Mathison from PHS may be able to guide you on the value of this. I am certain no factory Judges ever came with a column shift, this to me says special order.. but why? Interesting.

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 GTO General Discussion