455 vs 454 - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 GTO General Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 09:38 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)
Garage
455 vs 454

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
A 455 Pontiac will bolt right into your '74. It's a better engine than the 454: more torque, faster on the street, more reliable, and it will appear to be the stock, original engine. A real sleeper! All the 454 Chevs I've ever run against have been boat anchors that could not come close to the 389 or 400 Pontiac in performance. Keep it Pontiac!!!!
OMG, that is SO offensive. 454 is a boat anchor? Holy crap, at least BBCs are still GM, lets save the smack talk for Fords and Mopars...
My 90 454 SS truck is as fast as my LS1 Vette, will be faster with a better cam, and that's with oval port heads, not even talking rectangular port heads. I thought my 455 Tempest was fast back in high school, but my current cars are faster, my pontiacs are cool, but not fast. Not that some Poncho's aren't fast, they are, but dollar for dollar Chevy's are the go fast option on the cheap.

Last edited by jetstang; 04-29-2010 at 10:51 PM.
jetstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (16)
Edelbrock has an aluminum head, intake and cam kit for a stock 454 puts it over 500HP easy peasy.

Restoration pictures password is 'GTO'
Burn-out videos.
Rukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
If you're going to arse around with a Chevrolet motor, go corporate. Don't bother with the antiquated junk, use an LS motor. Bang for the buck? Use something modern that will produce more hp & tq per cube than a leaky old rat motor could ever dream of. Cammed BBCs don't produce the numbers that even an LS3 can until you go tall deck with 500+ cubes.

That is, if you don't want to use a Pontiac block, which I would encourage.
Poncho Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Dan View Post
If you're going to arse around with a Chevrolet motor, go corporate. Don't bother with the antiquated junk, use an LS motor. Bang for the buck? Use something modern that will produce more hp & tq per cube than a leaky old rat motor could ever dream of. Cammed BBCs don't produce the numbers that even an LS3 can until you go tall deck with 500+ cubes.

That is, if you don't want to use a Pontiac block, which I would encourage.
I totally agree with you, although VERY offended. Bang for the buck, LS motors are the sh#t. My LS-1 radiator is like an inch thick, aluminum LS motors dissipate heat throught the head and block, no ovrerheating problems, so all the ignition you can throw at it.
My 12.5 BBC racegas 468 can turn out some healthy numbers and I don't need a computer to tune it.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Its more of the head technology than anything else really that holds the old motors back.

I've had some classic iron in my time... and when I say junk, I mean can-o-worms, headaches and whipping tools, cuz man I have never cussed so much in my life than with the old stuff. They would constantly milk me of $300 here, $400 there, every couple of months, which is just fine when you're an inexperienced kid in his late teens-early 20's with nothing better to do with your time & money than to spend it on cars, women, and beer, but not so much when you're a family man with grown-up priorities.
Old 04-30-2010, 08:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Its more of the head technology than anything else really that holds the old motors back.

I've had some classic iron in my time... and when I say junk, I mean can-o-worms, headaches and whipping tools, cuz man I have never cussed so much in my life than with the old stuff. They would constantly milk me of $300 here, $400 there, every couple of months, which is just fine when you're an inexperienced kid in his late teens-early 20's with nothing better to do with your time & money than to spend it on cars, women, and beer, but not so much when you're a family man with grown-up priorities.
That's funny cause over the last 19+years I must have built at least 12 healthy built 454s. And every single one is still on the road, several hammer up and down the drag strip all the time and still going strong. A properly built 454 with an MSD w/rev limiter is almost bullet proof.

Burn-out videos.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
That's funny cause over the last 19+years I must have built at least 12 healthy built 454s. And every single one is still on the road, several hammer up and down the drag strip all the time and still going strong. A properly built 454 with an MSD w/rev limiter is almost bullet proof.
I was thinking the same thing. Fixing the little stuff that breaks is called, "Working the bugs out"...
Old 04-30-2010, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
64-67 Expert

My Photos: (2)
Excellent. I KNEW that would get this thread going!! Of course, buck for buck Chev is more cost effective: that's why EVERYBODY runs one! But I still contend that a stock, original 454 vs an original 455 Pontiac will come out the loser. I myself have never lost a race to a Chevy. That was then. New technology, better machining, etc. No way to compare a built up with custom parts Chevy to a vintage Poncho motor. Apples and Oranges. I still say he should bolt a 455 Pontiac in place of the 350, Easy and effective. Plus, I wanted to see if I could get a rise out of Jetstang....
geeteeohguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rukee View Post
That was part of the problem, for me anyways... not having a competent builder work on my motor. Dropping $4000+ on a rebuild for a motor that ran like ass, and eventually froze up before I could tune it right, was cause for a lot frustration and confusion. I guess the old saying goes, "do it once, do it right - do it yourself." Oh well, live and learn.

I know they're not "junk" like I stated earlier, I guess I couldn't come up with a better term...
Old 04-30-2010, 12:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
That was part of the problem, for me anyways... not having a competent builder work on my motor. Dropping $4000+ on a rebuild for a motor that ran like ass, and eventually froze up before I could tune it right, was cause for a lot frustration and confusion. I guess the old saying goes, "do it once, do it right - do it yourself." Oh well, live and learn.

I know they're not "junk" like I stated earlier, I guess I couldn't come up with a better term...
I was doing mine for a grand less and installed too. :/

Burn-out videos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 GTO General Discussion