'66 GTO value - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 GTO General Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
'66 GTO value

I had somebody come by today and ask about buying my '66 GTO. I haven't advertised it tried to sell it all. He tried to get me to make a price before he left, and he called tonight asking again. I really have no idea how to price it. Whatever I get out of it, I'm going to put towards my '67. I was hoping some of the guys could help me put a fair price on it.

It is a 389 2 speed car, but I think the engine is a '69 400. It is a YS code engine, but it has #62 heads and TH400. It has some rust around the rear window, the lower quarters, and some small places in the corners of the doors and fenders. The trunk pan is nice and floors and cowl seem to be solid. It runs, but could use a tune-up, carb rebuild, etc. as it as been sitting. Its all there and is very restorable. I told him to give me a few days to think about it, so let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 07:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)
Garage
Is that original metal,or has it been to the bondo shop before? Is it straight? I'd say $5K to $8K like it is. Is the frame solid? That car looks better than the one I'm doing. It's great that all the stainless looks to be there. I'd consider doing a clean up on it and make it a driver, that would increase the value alot for a little. Shame you are going to sell it, I'd try to keep it for a future project.
jetstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think it might fetch $5,000 at the most.
jmt455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

My Photos: (473)
The price and value really depends on what he is willing to pay, start a little higher than Jetstang's price, maybe $10K and negotiate a price from there. Without the original drivetrain I agree with the previous post, $5,000 to $8,000 is about right.

05GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Former Moderator

After you get a bunch of info from these guys, you could throw it back at the buyer. Ask him to make you an offer that you can't refuse. More than likely he'll try to low ball you tho. Worth a try.

I see you've been mowing around it. Too bad you couldn't get it in one of your sheds for a little protection from the elements....... Looks like a good project.....

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
68greengoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would love to keep it, but I tied up some of my money budgeted to restore my '67 to this car, a '65 GTO body, a '65 LeMans Convertible, a '67 LeMans, and a '69 Tempest, and I have nowhere to get it out of the weather. The pics I posted were at the guy's place I bought it from a few weeks ago. If I had the sheds, barns, and carports he has, I'd have it out of the weather. I really wanted the '67 Lemans for parts, but the guy gave me a killer deal on the whole lot of them. I'd love be able to get $5000 or more for it, because I have about half of that in all 5 cars. I'll try to get him to make an offer on it, but if not, I'll start out a little higher and see if he'll bite.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)
Garage
You did good on those cars, congrats.
jetstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

4 cars and that GTO for under $2500....where do i sign up??? thats the deal of the century. you should have no problem getting 5K for that, like the guys said start high and let him work you down and think he is getting a deal. That looks like a straight car with good original metal and for the most part intact and not butchered other than the hood pins and steering wheel.
Instg8ter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instg8ter View Post
4 cars and that GTO for under $2500....where do i sign up??? thats the deal of the century. you should have no problem getting 5K for that, like the guys said start high and let him work you down and think he is getting a deal. That looks like a straight car with good original metal and for the most part intact and not butchered other than the hood pins and steering wheel.
I've got a little more than that in them - I paid $2500, but to get home them adds another $200 in fuel - so I've got about $2700 total in them. The parts alone on the '67 LeMans are worth a good bit to me because it has stuff I really needed for my car. All of the stainless on that car is very nice, and it has a perfect, uncut dash (mine has been cut for another radio). It is also a straight shift car, and has the pedals, linkages, etc., and an extra floor shift column. The '65 GTO and Lemans convertible are really rough, but have a few good things. I may have the '65 GTO sold. The '69 Tempest a 2 door sedan, and the lot came with a '68 GTO endura bumper, so I may try to sell car and the bumper together. I'm going to try to round up a rearend to put in it.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
64-67 Expert

My Photos: (2)
To my eyes, it's a 5 to 6k car as it sits. No more than 6k. If it were a 4 speed car with options, that would be different. Tripower, add even more $$$. If you sold it for 5k, both you and the buyer would be getting a fair deal.
geeteeohguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 GTO General Discussion