69 floor dimmer switch - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
69 floor dimmer switch

Hi I'm having trouble with my headlights and some side markers lights. I'm thinking I have a bad switch on the floor there is 3 wires that are going to it green blue brown the blue has power but the others don't even by pushing the switch. Is this the way it's supposed to be. I also don't have flashers working or signals but I think this is a different issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:53 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Man12 View Post
Hi I'm having trouble with my headlights and some side markers lights. I'm thinking I have a bad switch on the floor there is 3 wires that are going to it green blue brown the blue has power but the others don't even by pushing the switch. Is this the way it's supposed to be. I also don't have flashers working or signals but I think this is a different issue.

Dimmer switches go bad. I would not waste any time and purchase a new dimmer switch, rather than test wires at this time. IF the dimmer switch does not cure the problem, then you will have to get into wiring work - which can be a real pain.

Again, on the flashers, get a new flasher unit and replace the old one. These too wear out. They unplug and plug in, real simple. Make sure all your fuses are good. Go for the simple before looking for something major.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Pontiacjim. I know rats chewed up my wire harness in the engine compartment I splice them together before soldering them to make sure everything worked then I hit the dimmer switch and lights went out so I'll be installing the new switch tomorrow will see if things light up😁

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Replaced floor switch and have lights but one driver low beam is not as bright as the others.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 08:04 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC Man12 View Post
Replaced floor switch and have lights but one driver low beam is not as bright as the others.
That would be a headlight problem, and not the dimmer switch if they are now working. Most likely it is a ground issue, or wire grounding out on the body if rats have been doing some chewing - unless your lights have been replaced at some point with the brighter type headlights offered today and the one that is dimmer is of the older style - regular brightness.

You night just want to pull off the connector from the head light and make sure no corrosion has gotten in there either. Then check your wires for any exposed wiring that the rats may have gotten at and clean up the grounds - which you should find once you follow the wires.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 02:32 AM Thread Starter

Yeah its going to be something like a loose connection i wiggled wires from the drivers headlight and it got brighter so I think it's a ground that's loose or maybe like you said corrosion built up. By the way do you know the type of bulb that goes in the rear side markers
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-17-2017, 07:18 PM

Garage
"By the way do you know the type of bulb that goes in the rear side markers "

Hmmm..... off the top of my head, I'm thinking a good one? My '68 wiring book says #1895 or #194 for '69. The '68 is listed as #1893 or #194 . Not sure the physical differnces,but that should help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.