70 455 GTO Value?? - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 GTO General Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
70 455 GTO Value??

Anybody have a rough idea what a 70 GTO 455 4 speed hardtop is going for these days (have seen a few at auction but not too similar to mine)? Contemplating selling. Seem to be all over the map from what I can see. Here are is my car's details (some rare options on this one I think when considering they are all together):

455 (numbers matching throughout and two build sheets)
4 speed
power windows
power driver seat
Remote trunk release
Ride and handling
Full gauges with hood tach
Air conditioning
8 track and am radio
Deluxe seat belts
Atoll blue

Frame off restored but probabably needs a refresher and some minor repairs where the restorer cut a few corners (very few miles though since restoration).

Thanks for your help. Seems these particular cars have stayed pretty flat over the years and are not overly desireable.
70GTO Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've seen a lot not make reserves with high bids being in the 15,000 range. Not many selling that i have seen except Judges and Convertibles. Nice Verts in the low-mid 20's. Have a line on a local 70' that i am thinking of making an offer, all it needs is paint and its in last coat of high build primer now. Was hoping to drive this summer up for sale after finishing, but with the market low i don't know if i want another keeper.
Instg8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. Not many around that are truly all numbers cars and that is the problem comparing. One at Mecum sold recently for $65,000 - BUT looked like a #1 car and a top quality restoration (which mine is more of a mid grade one). I am already into mine for more than it is worth - maybe I will just hang on to it. I was thinking it was worth $33,000 to $36,000 but maybe I am smoking crack. I have also seen convertible 400's sell for that too. Hey, at least it is worth more than my 93 ruby red convertible Corvette!! Probably could not give that away.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

A 1972, 455 4 speed just sold (at a Barrett Jackson auction) for $31,000. You know how crazy THAT environment gets...

If your car is very clean, you should be in that neighborhood. If yours is still as clean as when it came out of the resto shop, I'd expect it to be worth a little more than that.
jmt455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
64-67 Expert

My Photos: (2)
Your car has several things going for it that rate it as better than average: 455, 4 speed, PW, AC, hood tach, and Atoll Blue. It is obviously a special ordered car, not a "lot filler". I would think your car would maybe bring 27-35k to the right buyer. My advice? Keep the car, enjoy the car, and in a few years, when the market picks up a bit, sell it then if you still want to.
geeteeohguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

With all respect; any mention of prices at the B/J Auctions is crazy -- just like the people bidding at the B/J Auctions -- All liquored up with more money than brains . At this time, in this economy, the prices (normal) prospective buyers are willing to pay are mushy at best, espcially for the '70 through '72 goats.

A somewhat more real world value system can be seen on FleBay. Real cars, real people.

One sad reality of our hobby is this: You will not see a profit whan you sell.
Red1970GTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

No profit WTF!! The used car stealers tell you it is better than money in the bank!! Thanks for all the comments. I am keeping it and going to throw some more money into it and make it a #2 car. Hey, I am already under water on it - why not make it worse? That way it will do a couple of things

1. really piss off the wife (always good)
2. make it look better every time I take out the garbage - becuase I have young kids and never drive it anyway. All but 2 miles on it in three years.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

...i like your way of thinking. A car is only worth what you are able to find someone to buy it for, and these days there are more sellers than buyers. I am looking at a 70 to maybe paint drive a season and flip if if i can make a few bucks off finishing it right, thats why i have been watching the sales numbers on them. Only ones i have seen sell near asking are vert's and Judges. Everyone remembers the cars at the auctions that get the high dollar, but the ones that go for 10-20K under what they have into the build outnumber them 4/1 i bet. No reserve means it sells no matter what.
Instg8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'll give ya 10k right now lol. On the real, hold on to it. You'll regret it down the road if you let it go.
etewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 GTO General Discussion