72 lemans TIMING COVER O RINGS - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 GTO General Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 01:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
72 lemans TIMING COVER O RINGS

hey evryone i bought a new timing cover and the gasket kit and the two o rings the go on top dont fit in the new timing cover everything is exactly the same but just the old timing cover has like a flange to keep the o rings in place while they go on top but the new one doesnt have the flanges to hold them on. i went back to autozone to show them and they said they wouldnt know. they said my best bet is to install it without those two o rings and see what happens? what should i do ?
WESTCOA$T89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
timing cover

Did you acquire new flow through tubes also, that are replaceable (on the '60's-'70's style cover). These go through the timing cover. Divider plates and tubes are available I believe through Rock Auto, OPGI, etc... even on Ebay... O ring seals go on the front of the tubes, in back of the divider plate.

Last edited by gjones; 11-23-2012 at 11:13 PM.
gjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Flow tubes? Could these be it on the old timing cover right under the timing cover. And i dont think the water pump had a divider when i took it off . Am i going to to have to getone for this after market timing cover?
Attached Thumbnails
72 lemans TIMING COVER O RINGS-cimg3228.jpg   72 lemans TIMING COVER O RINGS-cimg3226.jpg   72 lemans TIMING COVER O RINGS-cimg3229.jpg   72 lemans TIMING COVER O RINGS-cimg3230.jpg  
Old 11-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjones View Post
Did you acquire new flow through tubes also, that are replaceable (on the '60's-'70's style cover). These go through the pump and divider plate. Divider plates and tubes are available I believe through Rock Auto, OPGI, etc... even on Ebay... O ring seals go on the front of the tubes, in back of the divider plate.
I PUT UP PICTURES ON THE POST I POSTED . So i did some research online on that water pump divider am i going to have to buy the water pump divider for the after market timing cover cause the old timing cover i took off didnt have one . And one more question i also read on here something on the clearance of it how it is be on perfect or it will leak? i didnt quite understand what that meant . thanks alot for all ur help really appreciate it
Old 11-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (12)
Garage
From your photos, if that's all you have then you are most definitely missing some parts. Yes, you MUST have the divider plate otherwise the water pump isn't going to work at all - period. You're also missing the tubes that those o-rings sit on.
Go to this link:
Butler Performance - Pontiac Water Pumps
Part way down the page you'll see entries for the parts you're missing.
Butler's part numbers are GMP-9796347 for the sleeves and GMP-979-6349 for the divider plate. There are multiple sources for these, I just put up the first one I found.

Bear
Old 11-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
From your photos, if that's all you have then you are most definitely missing some parts. Yes, you MUST have the divider plate otherwise the water pump isn't going to work at all - period. You're also missing the tubes that those o-rings sit on.
Go to this link:
Butler Performance - Pontiac Water Pumps
Part way down the page you'll see entries for the parts you're missing.
Butler's part numbers are GMP-9796347 for the sleeves and GMP-979-6349 for the divider plate. There are multiple sources for these, I just put up the first one I found.

Bear
ok i checked out that website those are these the only parts i need ? the water pump plate, the dividers, and the sleeve tubes?
Attached Thumbnails
72 lemans TIMING COVER O RINGS-dividers.jpg   72 lemans TIMING COVER O RINGS-tubes.jpg   72 lemans TIMING COVER O RINGS-water-pump-plate.jpg  
Old 11-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (12)
Garage
You need the parts in photos 2 and 3. The first photo is for early covers/pumps.

Bear
Old 11-23-2012, 10:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beargfr View Post
you need the parts in photos 2 and 3. The first photo is for early covers/pumps.

Bear
thank you bear really appreciate it i just bought the car last week now i know what i need to finish it
Old 11-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

timing cover

OOOOO! Haven't seen a prettier timing cover in near to 30 year, now. NICE!
Old 11-24-2012, 12:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

timing cover

...Also, you might want to invest in a water pump that has a CAST IRON IMPELLER. After having hot running issues with my 326, I installed a pump identical to the one that was on it, and it still ran at 210-230 degrees,even after adjusting the divider plate. (this had an impeller that looked like alternator vanes-try to avoid these). I got a Gates pump with a cast iron impeller, and it ran at 190. I installed timing cover and pump onto the 455, and that baby runs all day long at 180! I can dig up the Gates part # if you need it- was actually cheaper than that other pile of...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 GTO General Discussion