Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Article - 65 GTO Restomod - pic heavy, little details

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  666bbl 
#1 ·
Stunning Restomod 1965 Pontiac GTO Convertible

This is what made me post about it

"Those 18-inch Coys wheels spin 235/40 front and 255/45 Nitto NT555 Extreme ZR rubber, while brake power is provided by a quartet of The Right Stuff disc brakes."

Good info/example about wheels/tires regarding sizes and brakes with pictures, I wish the article said what the suspension was though.

#2 ·
And why again is it worth $99,000??? Hey, I like resto-mod, but installing add-ons that are more of a trend than traditional doesn't seem to justify the absurd price. Someday the tires/rims, digital dash, etc., will no longer be desirable anymore than jacking up the rear end real high, ladder bars, slotted aluminum Ansen rims, N-50 steam roller tires, and tunnel rams. The true value of this car is far less than the asking price -my opinion.

#4 ·
I agree. Well done, in the current popular style that may look as dated as an avocado green refrigerator in ten years or so. The big wheels kill it for me, but that's what the kids go for these days. They don't remember Day One or Day Two, and aren't into that. If customized at all, I'd rather have it sitting on Hi-Jackers with those N-50's and Ansens, and Cherry Bomb mufflers.....Day Two, '70's style. So dated that it's still cool, IMO. Funny how the ad tries to appeal to the graybeard set by mentioning Motown groups of the day, etc., which would suit a '65 riding on skinny redline tires and and having a stock interior. For this car, they should have named whatever's popular today, like Justin Bieber or Lady Gaga.

#5 ·
Yeah, I had to throw in the '70's look because it not only dates me, I still think it looks more muscle car era than what seems to be pushed out of shops nowadays.

Just got the latest Hotrod magazine. On the cover - a 1965 GTO clone with my least favorite Chevy LS engine, because as the article states, "It's hard to beat modern LS platforms for reliable GM power." (Pontiac engines don't make reliable power?:confused) And the owner machined the word "Pontiac" into the valve cover - I guess he might be trying to use the psychology term on would be admirer's called "Transference."

Transference: Displacement of affect from one person or one idea to another; in psychoanalysis, generally applied to the projection of feelings, thoughts, and wishes of the owner of an LS powered GTO/Clone onto the unschooled observer, who has come to represent a Chevy person from the owner's past.:crazy:

#6 ·
I think us grey beards are the only ones who could afford something like this. Sorta like the drivers seen in 90% of the new Vettes around here. My comment on reliable Pontiac power, every real Poncho I've ever owned NEVER failed to start unless the battery was dead. They never flooded or starved, never gave me any grief, always had a welcome reserve of real TORQUE. Even a lowly 350 in a 72 'bird had TQ. Most all of them had the same quirk though. In the 1st 500mi after an oil change or a top up they all used just under 1qt of oil and never another drop after that for the next 3K plus miles. Wierd huh? I came around to simply accepting it and let em eat with no issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.