Bear's Racing Today - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 GTO General Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (12)
Garage
Bear's Racing Today

At NorthStar Dragway, just north of Denton, Texas.

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...8&z=14&iwloc=A

If you're in the area and of a mind to, come on out.

Time trials scheduled to start at 9:30, racing probably around noonish. Spectator admission is $10.

Bear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
I'm probably not gonna make it...

Get some video if you can. I'd love to see and hear it!
Old 10-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Garage
Kick some azz,Bear!!!!!
Eric Animal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (6)
Garage
Go Bear!

Wish I could be there dude, I hope you have great weather and a hot track.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Well..... I had "one of those days". I'm still trying to figure out how to launch this thing. My first two time trials I was .050 red, both times. The car ran consistent - 7.65 and 7.64 at 91 mph (1/8th mile track). That put me right on the class break though. I was either going to be the slowest car in "Pro Muscle" or the fastest car in "King Muscle". I decided on the latter. Turned out not to matter --- I sure didn't go red, but I was late - .139 on the tree. Then at about half track or so I figured out that apparently after the burnout I'd managed to get the trans in to 2nd instead of Drive because the 2-3 shift never happened and the motor went probably "somewhere" past 6 grand before it registered on me what was going on. (Love those good forged rods). Somewhere around that time it tossed a belt, or both belts - because power steering went away followed soon thereafter by the power brakes (I'm running Hydroboost). It was pretty warm by the time I got it back to my pit spot and was kicking some coolant out of the overflow. So... I put on the spare belts that I always carry, topped off the coolant, and I was done for the day.

Someday maybe I'll make it past the first round

Went to drive it while ago to the club meeting, and I -think- the passenger side collector has burned a hole in the short piece of vacuum hose that goes to the vacuum modulator from the steel line - again - because that's how it's acting. I'll let it cool off then go check it. Joy.

Bear
Old 10-14-2012, 08:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
64-67 Expert

My Photos: (2)
Congrats, Bear. At least you're out there doing it. It takes guts, heart, and nerve, all of which you possess in spades. You'll get it dialed in.
geeteeohguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)
Garage
Nice times. Get the 7AL box with a rev limiter in it. Don't you shift it manual when racing it? Awesome you are racing it, most would be timid, but wth, you built it to drive/race.. Have fun, way better than trailer queen.
jetstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 11:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Running without a rev-limiter for now. I had an MSD external on it but after it crapped out and stranded me one night, I took it off. It's been repaired but I still don't trust it.

Sigh.... wondering about the transmission now. I thought I had run the car in 2nd but now I'm not so sure. I couldn't find a vacuum leak in the modulator line, so I pulled the modulator to test it. The trans fluid that came out had a brownish cast and smelled burnt - oh crap. So I drained the tranny pan (I've got one with a drain plug) and it was the same. The car drove fine coming home from the track - an hour's drive at freeway speeds. I guess I'll change the fluid and the filter and hope for the best, but it's got me worried. I'm going to be out of town on business all week too. I'm really starting to question it - the same shop that took two tries to get the converter right is the same shop who went through the transmission. I thought they were good --- now I'm wondering. I've got a 'spare' sitting on the garage floor, if this one turns out to be fried maybe I'll try building that one myself.

Bear
Old 10-14-2012, 11:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
Well..... I had "one of those days". I'm still trying to figure out how to launch this thing. My first two time trials I was .050 red, both times. The car ran consistent - 7.65 and 7.64 at 91 mph (1/8th mile track). That put me right on the class break though. I was either going to be the slowest car in "Pro Muscle" or the fastest car in "King Muscle". I decided on the latter. Turned out not to matter --- I sure didn't go red, but I was late - .139 on the tree. Then at about half track or so I figured out that apparently after the burnout I'd managed to get the trans in to 2nd instead of Drive because the 2-3 shift never happened and the motor went probably "somewhere" past 6 grand before it registered on me what was going on. (Love those good forged rods). Somewhere around that time it tossed a belt, or both belts - because power steering went away followed soon thereafter by the power brakes (I'm running Hydroboost). It was pretty warm by the time I got it back to my pit spot and was kicking some coolant out of the overflow. So... I put on the spare belts that I always carry, topped off the coolant, and I was done for the day.

Someday maybe I'll make it past the first round

Went to drive it while ago to the club meeting, and I -think- the passenger side collector has burned a hole in the short piece of vacuum hose that goes to the vacuum modulator from the steel line - again - because that's how it's acting. I'll let it cool off then go check it. Joy.

Bear
Does your track have a test-n-tune day/night? I always worked the bugs out and "learned the car" without the pressure of a race environment. 7.60's is pretty strong for a street car - good job!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
64-67 Expert

My Photos: (2)
Bear, I'm no tranny guru, but I've done a few of them and have been servicing them for a long time. Trans fluid stays bright red for a very, very long time. The only reason for it to lose its color and smell "burnt" is excessive heat. As you know, heat is caused by hard use and heavy loads, as well as internal slippage. The discoloration could be fried fluid, clutch material, or a bit of both. Not to get you down, but if it's an issue this early in the tranny's life, it not last very long. My advise would be to contact Cliff or Jake Shoe on the other forum and see what they think. I think you don't have enough line pressure to the clutch packs,but I'm guessing. In any case, good luck with it.
geeteeohguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 GTO General Discussion