User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Beware of VIN's in sellers ads

Reading this thread: Ebay Listings reminded me of the problems I had getting a title for my GTO when I bought it. Looking at the eBay ad mentioned in the post, I noticed the seller listed the entire VIN number. The seller of my GTO did the same thing in their ad on Classic Car Trader (listing the entire VIN). When I went to the DMV to apply for a title and registration, the DMV staff checked their computer and advised me I had bought a stolen car. I showed them the SC title signed over to me and the bill of sale and other stuff but DMV insisted I had to sort it out with law enforcement. I called the Sheriffs Dept and two deputies came to my house and checked out the car, the VIN and rivets, had me pull the LR tire and they checked the frame back there and all. Then they went to their car and ran checks on NCIS and other data bases. All showed there was no stolen car report on my car and gave me a form for the DMV. Took it to the DMV who would not honor it since their system still showed my car as stolen. I went to my area Sheriffs office and talked this over with them and showed all my paper work. The detective on duty made a call and told me to go to the auto theft unit downtown. I went there and got a wonderful detective. After listening to my story and reviewing all my paperwork. she checked her data bases and, sure enough, my car was not on them. She then called DMV in Columbia and got a manger she knew and explained the whole deal to her. The manager then put the detective on hold for awhile and came back and told her to advise me I would have my title and registration within ten days (and I did get them). The detective told me someone in another state saw the ad, printed the pics of the car and called his local police to report his GTO stolen and gave them the VIN and photos. The cops there then put it on the NCIS and others to waste no time. Later they went back and checked the guy out as well as their DMV records and realized he was a scammer and pulled the stolen car report.

The detective told me it is all well and fine to put the VIN in the ad to substantiate a rare car BUT substitute ****** for the last 6 numbers to avoid scammers. This s*** took me two months to sort out and for months I was afraid to drive the car, worrying about being arrested for "grand theft auto"! I pass on the detective's advice as it can save both seller and buyer a lot of grief.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Forgive my ignorance, but what did the scammer stand to gain from reporting the stolen car?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegoat68 View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but what did the scammer stand to gain from reporting the stolen car?
Law Enforcement seemed to think he was your usual "dumb crook" who thought he could acquire a GTO through nefarious means. Obviously he got found out but not before he cost me alot of time , etc., trying to straighten this all out. Not all, but most crooks are stupid people in my opinion.

Had he been a sophisticated crook, he might have created fake titles and registration slips showing himself as legal owner and contested the sellers ownership of the car.

But the two months I spent straightening out the problems this idiot created caused me to share my experience to save other members alot of potential hassles.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017, 08:00 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I get it now. I guess I just don't have a criminal mind.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegoat68 View Post
I get it now. I guess I just don't have a criminal mind.
Most of us don't, thank the Lord.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Did they do anything to the scammer?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
Did they do anything to the scammer?
Since he was out of state, I don't really know. Our Sheriff's Dept never got back to me about it (too much crime here for them to worry about out-of-state). I imagine the authorities where the scammer lived probably preferred charges against him since it affected people out-of-state....hey, maybe the Feds got involved....who knows?

I'm just glad to have a legal SC Title and registration and can take her out on the road when I want to. But I wanted others to know so they can be careful, there's always some idiot out there wanting to create trouble for the rest of us.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2017, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Over the years, I've listed the VINs of a few very desirable Pontiacs & one Stage1 GS in Hemmings ads, never had a problem.. The main reason I listed the entire VIN is serious prospective buyers of such Pontiacs will typically will buy their own PHS, as unfortunately there are fraudulently altered invoice copy's out there on a few cars.

Disagree with deleting the entire last 6 digits, the last three being deleted works fine. Have been cking in on & contributing on Performance Years forum since the javascript era (before the big website rollout in 2000). Many times quite a few of us over the years have engaged in serious discussions documenting, for example, when a production change took place at a certain assembly plant. By only deleting the last 3 digits, that narrows the car down to a 1000 different possible last digits out of one assembly plant. Depending on the assembly plant, the numerical VIN after one's GTO could have been a GrandPrix, or at one assembly plant it could have been a Skylark or Cutlass. On my '71 HO T-37 Coupe, it just so happens that by VIN number, there is a well preserved 455 HO convert that was built 2 VIN numbers before the T-37.

By X'ing out all of the last 6 digits, that doesn't help out those of us that are involved in valuable research. As an example, having owned one of very first '71 Judges off the Pontiac plant asm line, 242371P100xxx, an extensive amt of study of early production '71 Pontiac plant builds was undertaken. Several of us shared enough research that a handful of early '71 production pattern build promotional cars were identified. Just talking a handful of identically optioned same color combo Judges out of two specific asm plants. With all of the last 6 digits deleted, information for two of those cars would have never have been able to be confirmed. There are many other instances where the listing of at least the first 3 digits after the Plant code has immensely helped valuable research.
1968gto421 likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion head View Post
Over the years, I've listed the VINs of a few very desirable Pontiacs & one Stage1 GS in Hemmings ads, never had a problem.. The main reason I listed the entire VIN is serious prospective buyers of such Pontiacs will typically will buy their own PHS, as unfortunately there are fraudulently altered invoice copy's out there on a few cars.

Disagree with deleting the entire last 6 digits, the last three being deleted works fine. Have been cking in on & contributing on Performance Years forum since the javascript era (before the big website rollout in 2000). Many times quite a few of us over the years have engaged in serious discussions documenting, for example, when a production change took place at a certain assembly plant. By only deleting the last 3 digits, that narrows the car down to a 1000 different possible last digits out of one assembly plant. Depending on the assembly plant, the numerical VIN after one's GTO could have been a GrandPrix, or at one assembly plant it could have been a Skylark or Cutlass. On my '71 HO T-37 Coupe, it just so happens that by VIN number, there is a well preserved 455 HO convert that was built 2 VIN numbers before the T-37.

By X'ing out all of the last 6 digits, that doesn't help out those of us that are involved in valuable research. As an example, having owned one of very first '71 Judges off the Pontiac plant asm line, 242371P100xxx, an extensive amt of study of early production '71 Pontiac plant builds was undertaken. Several of us shared enough research that a handful of early '71 production pattern build promotional cars were identified. Just talking a handful of identically optioned same color combo Judges out of two specific asm plants. With all of the last 6 digits deleted, information for two of those cars would have never have been able to be confirmed. There are many other instances where the listing of at least the first 3 digits after the Plant code has immensely helped valuable research.
Excellent advice, Thanks PinionHead!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Has anyone else had a legitimate title from the sellers signed over to them and ran into legal difficulties getting their car titled/registered? Thanks.

Last edited by 1968gto421; 04-17-2017 at 10:05 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.