To Clone Or Not To Clone? - Page 2 - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 GTO General Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 07:09 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Make the car what you want it to be. Anyone who would scoff at you for cloning a car isn't worthy of the hobby. There are purist snobs in every pass time on earth, God bless em' for keeping the roots alive but they shouldn't look down their noses at everyone else... just my .02
FlambeauHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by goatlvr67 View Post
Hi, I'm a new member to this forum as of today and wanted to tackle a recurring topic of conflict I've had for years... to clone or not to clone a GTO?

A little background on my pure love for GTOs... specifically '67's... my dad started taking me to car shows when I was little, and I believe I was 12 when I first realized I was drawn to this car in particular amongst the thousands of other makes and styles of cars at the shows. I'll always remember the time I saw a turquoise hardtop, original-owner '67 for sale at a Goodguys show with my dad at age 15 (1997). The elderly owner told us the car had been garaged since he bought it new, and was selling it for only $4,000!!! As I had to commute to high school, my dad (though a passionate car guy), thought it was not the best option for me economically to have as my first high-school car. Though I was sad we didn't buy it, I understood his reasoning. I wasn't the kind of kid who pitched a hissy-fit if I didn't get my own way. Still haven't forgotten about that car, though (and have to mention here, it would probably be worth at least 10x that today! ) Hindsight's 20/20... Moving on...

Today, I am 30... don't have my '67 yet, but still lust after them. I believe the '67 Goat is truly my "soul car", if those exist. I always keep my eyes casually on the market just for fun, but as a small business owner, how can I really afford a numbers-matching real GTO for at least $20,000, and at that price, likely requiring thousands more in restoration costs? So naturally, the idea of cloning a GTO has come up in an attempt to look at this issue realistically and economically.

I was raised by an orthodox car guy though, and the appreciation for bone-stock vintage vehicles was instilled in me from a young age. So when over the years I've been asked by friends "why don't you just buy an inexpensive, solid Tempest or LeMans and clone a GTO?"', that question made me sick. How could I do that? How could I be okay not driving the REAL thing, and furthermore, having to admit to people it's a clone? What's the deal if I took a cloned car to a car show (though that's pretty insignificant to me, I just want the car as my daily driver, not an overly-pampered show car...)?

To be perfectly honest, I just don't want to wait 30 or 40 more years to be driving my '67 Goat, as I'm assuming it will take me that long to save for a TRUE one. So again comes the perpetual question... do I open my mind to cloning one, despite being somewhat of a purist? Or do I wait (and wait, and wait, and wait...) till I'm able to afford the REAL thing?

Any and all feedback on this matter would be appreciated...
Do what you want to do. There are good reasons to keep the car original and good reasons to clone or resto-mod the car. My car is resto-modded with updated suspension, carburetor, camshaft, steering, brakes, 2005 GTO seats, three-point seat belts and American Racing wheels. In my view, it's just a matter of taste and your budget. Do whatever brings a smile to your face..........
Old 12-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
I don't see a problem building a clone, not everyone can afford the real thing.
TTA89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 10:13 AM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)
Garage
Don't have a second thought about buying a clone and enjoying it. I love cars, originals, restored, hot rods, doesn't matter. I know there are a lot of different factions within the car hobby, but do what ever you enjoy. I've got a clone now, fastest and most fun car I've ever owned. I like to look at the correct numbers matching examples at shows, I think there great, but I also like modified/hot rods. My '68 LeMans/GTO clone I currently have would blow the doors clear off the stock '70 "real" GTO that I had previously. With a Butler 474, jacked up Buick 200 4R tranny and 373 gears this car is a beast. The only comments I get are, "love your car, man thats bad-ass," and lots of thumbs up. The only way 99.9% of the people would know it's a "clone" is to look at the VIN number, but I make no bones about, I list it as a LeMans/GTO and will tell anybody who inquires it's a clone, it's not a big deal to me. I also feel that with all the mods on this car I haven't altered a real piece of the automotive history, the legend, the GTO. If I get a purist who turns their nose up at it at a show, I just tell 'em to bring there "real" GTO out on the blacktop and I'll send them home with there tail between their legs! If you Love and want a GTO, don't wait for years to save for an expensive original. Get one you can afford and enjoy your passion! You might get run over by a truck tomorrow, tomorrow is promised to no one.
kilkm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:50 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilkm68 View Post
Don't have a second thought about buying a clone and enjoying it. I love cars, originals, restored, hot rods, doesn't matter. I know there are a lot of different factions within the car hobby, but do what ever you enjoy. I've got a clone now, fastest and most fun car I've ever owned. I like to look at the correct numbers matching examples at shows, I think there great, but I also like modified/hot rods. My '68 LeMans/GTO clone I currently have would blow the doors clear off the stock '70 "real" GTO that I had previously. With a Butler 474, jacked up Buick 200 4R tranny and 373 gears this car is a beast. The only comments I get are, "love your car, man thats bad-ass," and lots of thumbs up. The only way 99.9% of the people would know it's a "clone" is to look at the VIN number, but I make no bones about, I list it as a LeMans/GTO and will tell anybody who inquires it's a clone, it's not a big deal to me. I also feel that with all the mods on this car I haven't altered a real piece of the automotive history, the legend, the GTO. If I get a purist who turns their nose up at it at a show, I just tell 'em to bring there "real" GTO out on the blacktop and I'll send them home with there tail between their legs! If you Love and want a GTO, don't wait for years to save for an expensive original. Get one you can afford and enjoy your passion! You might get run over by a truck tomorrow, tomorrow is promised to no one.
You said it awsomely. If you want numbers matching get it, but if you are gonna mod at all, why pay a GTO premium that will get modified. I am starting with a inline 6 Lemans, putting some GTO body modifications on it (not all they way) and throwing in a modern LS engine.
Groundczero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:19 AM   #16 (permalink)

I bought my first Tempest Custom post car for my wife in 2007 because she fell in love with the 67 GTO body style. It was a solid car and I collected most of the parts to clone a GTO. A large amount of the new interior pieces that came with it were the GTO style as well. It was an OHC 6 car that had a 350 Chevy in it. I changed my mind and started looking for "Custom" specific parts to finish it to factory specs. I later found another 67 Tempest post (326 car) with a Pontiac 400 that was a well optioned factory air car with disc brakes. I sold the first and am building the second. It currently wears a set of Lemans tail lights (Tempest tails are hard to find) and some GTO buckets. I've decided that I am building the car as I would have had it optioned. A Tempest with a 400, overdrive auto, air, 10 bolt with 3.73 gears, console, buckets, a GTO hood, grills, parking lights, and all Tempest badges in a 67 color - Montreaux or Tyrol Blue (undecided). It will have a custom dash based on the original with modern gauges, CD player w/ iPod and a good sound system. I want it to drive like a more modern car so I plan to improve the suspension with tubular control arms, stiffer springs, and thicker sway bars. That way my wife can enjoy it on nice summer days or drive it to work on occasion to give her 05 GTO a rest. I say build it like you want it. If you aren't trying to make money off of someone else selling a Tempest or LeMans as a GTO then no one will care. Personally, I am proud of my Tempest because I never see one at a car show or cruise in. I get annoyed (just a little) when someone calls it a GTO or LeMans. But that's just me...it seems the Tempest is the more rare of the cars today.

This is my inspiration - although I like the emblems in the stock locations. It's too low for my taste, but it's a post car.

I want the Pontiac script on the tail panel of my car.

I want these wheels and probably this color and all of those pretty emblems.

Last edited by jday240; 12-10-2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Pics added
jday240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:39 AM   #17 (permalink)

jDay you know what wheels are on the black car those like nice!
Groundczero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

Rushforth Wheels - Home
jday240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #19 (permalink)

It sounds like you will never own a GTO. If a FAKE does it for you then go for it. A clone means only one thing, not real.

Big John
Old 02-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #20 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
Buy the best car you can afford, whether it is a GTO or not

I jsut bought my 68 "GTO" convertible at MECUM in Kissimmee, FL.

When I saw the car, I knew I had to take it home. I did not care if the GTO badges were original or not.

The seller gave me the history of the car since he first got it, and it made sense to me.

A 70 year old man brought the car to his shop to be painted. The man had always wanted a GTO convertible, but could never afford it. he finally found this LeMans and started the restoration. He had the engine and transmission rebuilt, new exhaust put on the car along with front and rear bumpers. he rebuilt the brake cylinders and all the suspension bushings and ball joints. The original interior is in great shape. He put new Michelins on the 14" steel wheels. He had to replace the carpet, but everything but the radio is factory original.

Al the sheet metal and glass is straight and original. The frame is clean and even the body mounts are like new. No rust anywhere.

The painter bought all the GTO badges, hood, and grille, and started working on the car. The owner passed away before he finished the conversion, so the man's widow sold the car to Jimmy. He decided to continue the conversion to a GTO and bought some 17 x 9 Rally II wheels and redline tires for the car. He then put a 2.5" exhaust system on the car with Flowmaster mufflers. He did not go so far as to replace the tail lights, or change the steel front bumper for the Endura bumper or put the hideaway headlights in it. A purist can spot the fact that it is a LeMans right away. I kinda like that.

The paint is perfect, the top looks like new, and the interior is super clean. The car runs and sounds great. It is a perfect addition to my Corvette collection.

I got a great deal on the car, and don't really care if there are 6 letters on the rear quarters or only 3.

The car is awesome, and I call it a LeMans. People read GTO on the car and call it a goat.99 percent of the population just think it is an awesome ride, and I tend to agree with them.
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 GTO General Discussion