Electric cooling fan??.... - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 GTO General Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Electric cooling fan??....

I was just trying to get some input on getting rid of my pulley fan and buying an electric one. My car is a 1969 GTO with a 400 engine. I have a standard radiator that is probably original. Would I need to get a shroud to go around the fans? What CFM would I need. My car is pretty stock. I just rebuilt the engine and had it bored 30 over. That's about it. Anything would help.

thanks
Eshack80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
64-67 Expert

My Photos: (2)
The best and most trouble free set up for a mostly original engine is the stock clutch type fan with a fan shroud. For highly modified engines at max HP, electric fans can be an improvement, but on a stocker/slightly modified, they are a lot of expense and added complexity, IMHO. Others running electric fans are sure to chime in.
geeteeohguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

I totally agree with Geetee... Most of the time when we deviate from what GM did, we go backwards.
Old 02-25-2013, 03:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (12)
Garage
I'm running twin electrics on my 69 and I like them, but first let me ask you why you want to do this? Are you trying to solve a cooling problem, or are you looking for "free" horsepower by getting rid of the engine driven fan?

FYI, I'm also running a big aluminum radiator and my engine has been somewhat "surgically enhanced" to up the power. For a more or less stock setup, I agree that the original setup is probably the best and the most trouble-free. If you convert to electric(s), you're also going to have to up your game alternator-wise because the stock 65 amp alternator won't be able to keep up.

Bear
Old 02-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Electric fans are easy to set up. The aftermarket ones new are a waste of money, look at a junkyard one of the best bang for the bucks are the mid 90's taurus fans. It is a single fan that pulls 4,000 cfm's (people are using these on swap LS cars that are highly modded), The other one I suggest is the cooling fans from a 4th gen F-body, but you might need to modify it a little the shroud is a bit bigger than stock rads..
Groundczero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
PO put a twin fan setup with a built in shroud and aluminum radiator in my car. Works well, the only thing I dont like is that this particular unit is a little loud with somewhat of a high pitch wine. I know they make much quieter fans you can buy. A stock clutch fan can be loud, but at least it is a "roar" and not a whine. If I had a decent clutch fan & radiator, I would not spend the money on electric. If you need to start over, maybe not a bad option. At least your timing light wires will not get caught in the fan...
leeklm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Garage
If the stock set -up cools the motor....leave it be! IMHO In my case, I needed to use electric fans. These are Derale fans. I also modded the rad support for a tranny cooler. Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Electric cooling fan??....-reassemble-006.jpg   Electric cooling fan??....-reassemble-004.jpg   Electric cooling fan??....-xmissioncooler-003.jpg  
Eric Animal is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 GTO General Discussion