GTO's with bench seats - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 GTO General Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2010, 10:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (6)
Garage
GTO's with bench seats

Any other members on here with a bench seat in thier GTO's? Mines a 69 with a 4 speed, but I've seen auto/column shift too. I'm just curious if anyone has any more details. I know they were available in black or white only (seems kinda odd they would limit the colors).

Were buckets standard on GTO's? Was the bench an extra cost option or a credit?

The stick is different in that it's bent to clear the seat, and you cant shift it with the armrest in the down position.

This is about all I know, if anyone has more info I'd love to see it, like how many each year and auto/man breakdown.

I love my bench, it's comfortable and makes it a little different. I'd love to have buckets console, but in a way it adds to the personality of the car.
ALKYGTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2010, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (16)

Bench seat stick cars are just way cool!! cheers

Restoration pictures password is 'GTO'
Burn-out videos.
Rukee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:23 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
When I first looked at my GTO, I did'nt really know that much about them, I was a Mopar guy for years so the bench seat and 4 speed kinda gave me that Roadrunner vibe.

The car as it sat was kind of an enigma cause it had a vinyl top, whitewalls on Ralley II's and the hideaways were stuck open, I was like "this can't be a GTO" at first, but I knew it had to be different.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Rukee - do you have any idea where I can get this info?

Anybody else out there with a bench?
Old 08-21-2010, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALKYGTO View Post
Rukee - do you have any idea where I can get this info?

Anybody else out there with a bench?

My 1967 GTO with a four-speed Muncie came with a black bench seat. I resto-modded it by adding bucket seats from a 2005 GTO and a five-speed Keistler transmission.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Wow, these must be really rare , only one other guy on here with a bench and he took it out.

Does anyone have any more info? I'd just like to see some sort of production breakdown by year if that still exists.

There was just an article in High Performance Pontiac on a black 69 GTO vert that they said came with a black (int code 268) bench seat and a four speed, but someone had changed it to white buckets/console. They mentioned how GTO's with benches were rare and I just wondered if there were any more on here.
Thanks
Old 08-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Former Moderator

My Photos: (0)
Took mine out too. Although, according the PHS doc, it came with buckets. I had the original buckets too, but traded them for some custom upholstry work and put in aftermarket buckets.... Still have the bench, need to sell it..... Can't help you with numbers tho...

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
68greengoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
My first 1968 GTO had a bench with a coumn shift automatic. It was the only thing I did not like about the car. It may have been rare, but rare undesirable options do not really help out the value. I would venture to say there were probably more bench seat GTO's then you would expect that were converted to buckets. It was on the top of the list of things to change on my first GTO but I had to get rid of the car first to go to school. If it would have been a four speed bench that would have been ok but the column shift automatic had zero coolness factor.
sixeightGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)
Garage
I had a 69 Buick GS 400 that was column and bench. All my Lemans and Tempests had buckets and floor shifters, Old68GTO told me about a GTO economy option that put a 2 barrel on it, isn't that a Lemans? That 242 vin code adds so much money on resale.
jetstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 01:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Yeah, I've seen auto/bench GTO's but not so many with the stick. IMO the interior on these cars needs the extra "flash" a console adds, it's very black in there. I like my bench cause it makes it a little different and it is comfortable, so it will stay . Funny thing is you can't shift the damn thing with the armrest down! I'm going to have a local upolstery shop put some cupholders in the armrest (I have a spare).

Wow, the "turnpike cruizer" optional 2 bbl carb, who's bright idea was that? How many GTO's with that option are still around?

What about the "chrome" bumper 68's? Are they more "desireable" than the more common endura bumper cars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 GTO General Discussion