User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage
HMI Stage III

Is this a good choice for my '64? Anyone install on Their GTO? My '64 project just getting under way. Going to attempt to get 389 running with M-22...figure this is where I start

"Never, ever, scratch a tiger's balls with a wire brush."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 05:50 AM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedgoat View Post
Is this a good choice for my '64? Anyone install on Their GTO? My '64 project just getting under way. Going to attempt to get 389 running with M-22...figure this is where I start

I apologize for my ignorance, but what is this HMI Stage III as I have no clue.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Can't find it on Google.....Please enlighten us, Thanks.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Sorry, my mistake. Forgive me for I am very new to this. I was supposed to post UMI performance Suspension upgrade stage III. I've got a '64 GTO in the garage fresh pulled from a Tucson junkyard. The motor an transmission out of it. I am going to attempt to get it up and running before I attempt a full off body resto mod.
I was thinking the way to start would be with one of these kits. They about $3,000 so I was looking for advice or tips, or to see if anyone has gone down this road.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedgoat View Post
Sorry, my mistake. Forgive me for I am very new to this. I was supposed to post UMI performance Suspension upgrade stage III. I've got a '64 GTO in the garage fresh pulled from a Tucson junkyard. The motor an transmission out of it. I am going to attempt to get it up and running before I attempt a full off body resto mod.
I was thinking the way to start would be with one of these kits. They about $3,000 so I was looking for advice or tips, or to see if anyone has gone down this road.
UMI has a good product line. I have several of their suspension parts on my '68 Lemans project build. Quality seems good and they supply any needed hardware. The Stage III kit seems to be very complete and should really handle well. They seem to offer it in a 2" or 1" drop, did not see original height. I might go with the 1" drop over the 2." I don't know what the drop will do to tire/rim sizing choices should you want to go wide.

As noted, you must make sure your car has its original rear end as the '64 uses a different upper control arm bushing versus the '65 and up models. So confirm this before you order so you get the right stuff.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Haven't used UMI yet thought I plan to for their rear suspension braces ( 1968-1972 GM A-Body Control Arm Reinforcements/Frame Braces [4028] - $129.99 : UMI Performance, Inc. ).

I have used rear suspension arm and sway bar upgrades from Spohn, a company BearGFR has used on his GTO. I have been very impressed with the quality and fit of their products (made here in the USA in Pennsylvania; where I believe UMI may be housed, also. Spohn = ( 1968-1972 GM A-Body, Chevelle, Malibu | Suspension & Chassis Parts ).

Sounds like a good beginning for your GTO. Jim has provided some excellent little known advice for you.

Last edited by 1968gto421; 01-09-2017 at 06:31 PM. Reason: spelling
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 07:04 PM

Garage
Yep, used the Spohn adjustable uppers as well, got a little of everybody on my car. Hotchkis is another good brand for suspensions. I did look and they have a kit as well, but about $1200 more as I recall, so no as good a deal as UMI in my opinion, but they are a quality company as many use them.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2017, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Have used UMI roto-joints on quite a few builds, including a pair that were modded into a pair of oem boxed lwr control arms. Autocrossed my first T/A in the mid 80's & learned a lot about spring rates. Just am not a fan of "one fits all" coil springs from any suspension kit company, I'd do more investigating. On my A-body's, that I've spent the most time on perfecting the suspension to hook, they're set up more for straight line, & two of them, by rules can't run tubular control arms, so no input there. On UMI's pieces, I do like the fact they are quality materials & made in the USA. There is a bunch of cheap tubular arm suspension pieces that are just that cheap import junk.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 01:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you everyone.
That helps me. I am still early in the game. My car was sitting in a desert junkyard for decades. I spent a couple of day cleaning the engine compartment. Today I had dust mask on and tore out the interior. It was all but disintegrated. Car looks great though. Very little rust. Going to pick up a four speed today. Due to constraints of time and money it will be slow process, but a decision has been made to get the car up and running first. Then consider restoration. I am seriously looking at the suspension kit though. Seems like this is go time for that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.