Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Online Cowl Tag Decoder

36K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  datatagdecoder 
#1 ·
Hi Folks,

I have been lurking in here for a while but I wanted to announce that after several months of work I have released a BETA version of my online cowl tag decoder DataTagConverter.Com. It is still a work in progress, but I am hoping that over time it will be useful to the classic car community as a whole. That said, there may be missing codes and incorrect data so I hope that anyone who has a moment to try it out and finds something wrong to contact me at the email below. In the coming weeks there will be a "pretty" version released so follow me at the below for periodic updates.

Everyone is encouraged to participate in the Data Tag Decoder Beta if you have any GM product (except trucks) from 1964-1972.

++All feedback is welcome!

Data Tag Decoder (datatagdecoder.com)

- Follow -
Twitter:
@datatagdecoder
Facebook:
http://facebook.com/datatagdecoder
Email:
datatagdecoder@gmail.com

See less See more
#2 ·
#5 ·
Didn't quite handle everything for my car, but was very close.
My cowl tag:
ST 69 24237 BT 02548
TR 258 69 B PNT
12B003

There was no way for me to input the items in bold. Which were:
B - black vinyl top
003 - I've never been able to find what these digits mean

Bear

#7 ·
Hi Bear, I added B to the database. As far as the 003 goes, I have the same problem with my '71 Cutlass S. I have 3 digits behind my date code and have never found a good explanation of what those digits mean.

Glad you found the decoder useful. We are getting ready to launch for real in a few weeks.

#14 ·
There is an accessory 2P (1964 and 1965) and then there is the paint code P-2 that was talked about above. It all depends on where the code is located on the cowl tag: Paint section or accessory section?

#16 ·
I attached a pic of a cowl tag similar to yours. The 19 is a mistake. I would say it should be 09 for September. A is the 1st week of that month.

The "X" is an interesting subject. Of all the PON plant cowl tags I have in my collection, I have only seen the "X" on August and September builds for the 1965 A bodies. According to Pete McCarthy (Pontiac author and expert) the "X" means that the car is not assembled in the normal manner--it was taken off the regular assembly line at some point.

In the May 2004 issue of High Performance Pontiac, Dr. Eric M. Schiffer (President of Royal Pontiac Club of America, at that time frame) talks about what the X means on a 1965 GTO cowl tag: "Everything that was a special build or engineering program part had a X."

Attachments

#19 ·
Worked perfect for my 1969 GTO! My car has a column shift and I thought when I received my PHS documents they would have confirmed that I have buckets with column shifter, but no info was present.
I met a this summer who told me that my car was likely a bench seat and someone put buckets in it? that didn't sit well with me.
After filling out your tag number site it confirmed that my car did infact come equipped with buckets.

Thanks so much!!!

#20 · (Edited)
Accessory Code GL

I have a 66 GTO Convertible built in Baltimore and your website verified 99% of the data plate. The missing piece of info is that I have is an accessory code of GL. Because the GL is not prefaced with a 2 I assume it is accessory 1. However you have no G or L in your accessory 1 options. Could this actually be accessory 2, meaning that this car had a console and a 4 speed manual? When I bought the car it had a console with a 2-speed automatic. I am also curious as to what the 110 that is above BAL means. See attachment for view of the data plate. Any help your can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

#22 ·
I believe the 3 2 you are referencing to is called the fixture or gate number. The body was welded at a location in the plant called gate 3 and the 2 is second shift.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.