Opinions on a color design for a 68 - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 GTO General Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 12:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Opinions on a color design for a 68

I know neither one of these cars is a 68 GTO. One is a 69 firebird and the other one is a 69 GTO hotwheels car. I was think about how these concepts would work on a 68. Maybe not the same colors, but same design. What do you guys think? One of these 2 or a solid color.

psilentchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Former Moderator

If "you" really like one or the other, go for it. Personally, I don't care for either...... If you plan on selling it in the next 10 years or less, a solid color would broaden your pool of buyers. jmo

SOLD.....
462ci, 4spd
Performer Intake, Mild Cam
Pertronix Ignitor III
Accel Super Coil, Accel 8.8mm Wires
68greengoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
64-67 Expert

My Photos: (2)
Green Goat said it, IMO. History shows that custom graphics age poorly....think '70's panel paint schemes / murals and '80's Nike sneaker stripes in pastel colors. But, do what you want with your car.
geeteeohguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

2 tone ...careful

been my experience two tone cars that were not done like that at the factory dont appeal to the majority of people ... done a lot of paint jobs in my career and that always seemed the case when other people saw the cars .. the owners on the other hand liked what they got ... you paint a car for what you like ..knowing though your resale customer market will probably be reduced quite a bit
44070dart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (6)
Garage
I do like the first design, and I've thought about some different designs for my car over the years to break up all the orange. In retrospect i wish I would have painted it back to the stock Warwick Blue or Chrystal Turquoise but I do still like the orange.

As an aside, I have a friend with a nice little 67 Chevy II. Nice smallblock auto car built in the early 90's style of monochrome paint. Schoolbus yellow on everything dechromed and then some nice pink an blue stripes on the lower doors sweeping over the rear quarters . I mean it screams 1993 at you. It's still a nice car but he won't drive it because it looks SO dated. And it would cost a bundle to strip all the chrome and redo it and repaint the car and find the original seats (JAZ racing seats in black and yellow).

If he had just painted it back to the original color it would always be in style.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
64-67 Expert

My Photos: (2)
Exactly the point I was trying to make, Alky, only you said it much better. "What's hip today might soon become passe"....Tower of Power
Classic original design, on the other hand, never goes out of style. Black and chrome will always look killer!!!
geeteeohguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

What color would some of you all paint it if you had a 68? I know I can paint it what ever color I like. I just want some outside opinions. I want it to look mean. I was either thinking phantom black pearl, jet black stage 1, or black cherry pearl. What color would you paint a 68?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

My Photos: (6)
Garage
If you are thinking black pearl, I have a 2010 Mercury Milan in Tuxedo Black I think it's called. It is a black metallic and is real sharp IMO. It has red, green and gold micro flake in it an really pops in the sun. I'm not sure if it is a Mercury only color as I've seen Lincolns painted similarly. Also seen the newer Malibu's painted a black metallic that looks nice. Just a suggestion.

It's much easier to do touch ups if you have to with an OEM standard color. My car is actually the orange used on 96 Mustangs.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (54)
everyone has their own opinion- but when all is said and done would you rather have a car a majority of people like to look at or one you love to look at?? I chose the latter and when I went to a Pontiac show I was pretty much snubbed by the purist- ask me if I give a sh1t what they think. Go with the color YOU want if you plan on keeping it- I also cant see any black color not looking good.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

I understand its totally up to me. I'm just asking because somebody may have a paint color that I have never heard of; like the tuxudo black. I have never heard that color and its a cool looking color.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac GTO > 1964-1974 GTO General Discussion