Pontiac GTO Forum banner

PHS Mistake?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Colorado67GTO 
#1 ·
Hello All,

Hopefully this isn't a topic that has already been discussed. I tried to search for it but couldn't find anything.

My PHS Engine Unit Number has 006301, but the engine in my car clearly has 306301. It seems too close to be coincidental. Do you only compare the last 4 digits for a match? It is a 67 400. Everything else seems to match.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

#2 ·
It very well could be a mistake. These engine unit numbers are linear. If your EUN (engine unit number) is 6301 then that would be a very early build 1967 model and your PHS or cowl tag should show it built in the 1st 2 month of the introduction of the 1967 model (Aug or Sept 1966). If your car has the EUN of 306301 is should have a later build of that year model. I would say March or April of 1967. Just a guess on the months.

#3 ·
I'm no expert on this, but I think the EUN stamped on your block and the EUN on the billing history are close enough that it has got to be the original engine. I have the same deal- the EUN stamped on my block does not match the EUN on the billing history. I think someone at GM 46 years ago, fat fingered the EUN on the billing history and hit the "9" twice and so the "3" got left off when it printed out. Fortunately for me, starting in 1968, the feds required the last eight digits of the VIN be stamped on the block and mine match.

Here's my billing history showing the EUN as 481997...

Here's the EUN stamp on the block showing 481973...

Unfortunately, your '67 won't have this, but here's the partial VIN stamped on the block that matches the last eight digits of my Goat's VIN...

#5 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses. I looked up my engine date code and it is M086, so that is December 8th, 1966. The PHS invoice date is 1/19/67, so it is all in the same date range as Roger That points out. Also, it helps reinforce that mistakes are made by GM on the Car Billing History based on the documentation PAT68HO posted. That is good enough for me. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.