Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zsowhat View Post
Would it be foolish for anyone to buy a
GTO whether its a show car or
a basket case with out it having
PHS documentation?
IMO: YES. That PHS may be better than the purchase itself.

President: Susquehanna Valley GTO Inc.
president@svgto.com
Public Relations Coordinator: GTOAA
publicrelations@gtoaa.org

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 06:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage
That's a general question that depends on the buyer. Would I ? No.. But some people don't care about the pedigree or might not want / can't afford to spend the money for a GTO.. Some might want to modify so much that they don't want to ruin the DNA of desirable car etc. or
If the price is right and it's what they want, they could care less if it was born a Lemans, gto , judge , had specific options etc.. They just like the car and enjoy driving it.. Cars are hobbies and you'll find that about as many people that are into them there's that many different opinions..

My . 02

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
First and foremost, You should know what you want and it sounds to me like your not sure, so PHS doesn't matter. When I bought my first GTO, I had a pretty good idea what I wanted in the car. IMO for the puriest, a numbers matching car PHS is a must.
For the person who just wants a muscle car that looks and runs good, PHS is not that important.

The most important thing is that the car is sound mechanically and you can enjoy it. Too many people jump into this hobby with no idea and end up spending a bundle or get frustrated and suffer a loss, so take your time to thoroughly checkout any possible purchase.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle_Cars_Only View Post
That's a general question that depends on the buyer. Would I ? No.. But some people don't care about the pedigree or might not want / can't afford to spend the money for a GTO.. Some might want to modify so much that they don't want to ruin the DNA of desirable car etc. or
If the price is right and it's what they want, they could care less if it was born a Lemans, gto , judge , had specific options etc.. They just like the car and enjoy driving it.. Cars are hobbies and you'll find that about as many people that are into them there's that many different opinions..

My . 02
Quote:
Originally Posted by newsandu002 View Post
First and foremost, You should know what you want and it sounds to me like your not sure, so PHS doesn't matter. When I bought my first GTO, I had a pretty good idea what I wanted in the car. IMO for the puriest, a numbers matching car PHS is a must.
For the person who just wants a muscle car that looks and runs good, PHS is not that important.

The most important thing is that the car is sound mechanically and you can enjoy it. Too many people jump into this hobby with no idea and end up spending a bundle or get frustrated and suffer a loss, so take your time to thoroughly checkout any possible purchase.
All great advice. I would add that you should evaluate your skills as to the level you have and what areas your skills are in. My body work skills are diddly so i have avoided cars needing replacement floor/trunk pans and body panels, etc. Checking for collision damage is very important. You however may really be good at doing this kind of work but the mechanicals leave you wanting a pro. Conversely, you may have machinist skills and have built many an engine, overhauled trans and rear ends and find body/rust work to be something you'd hate to get into.

Or you may not want to do much work of any kind on it for whatever reason. if that's the case, you need to find the best condition car you can, both body and mechanicals. And do you want a show car or a driver?

Lots to consider before you buy
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Garage
: It depends. If you're interested in a car as an investment (i.e. you probably care a great deal about resale value) then I'd say knowing its pedigree from PHS is a must. If on the other hand you're primarily interested in the 'fun factor' and the enjoyment you'll personally get out of the car, then whether or not the PHS doc is part of that package is up to you.

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.