Pontiac GTO Forum banner

tail light

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Lemans guy 
#1 ·
Question/help.

I just took my 67 GTO convertible out this past weekend, did the spring cleaning. I was out and about a little bit on Sunday with the top down getting ready to enjoy the summer weather.
When I shut the car off and walked away I notice the taillights were still on, this hasn't happened before since I've owned it( 6 years). I checked to make sure the light switch was not accidently in the on position, it wasn't. I restarted the car, no issue, turned it off the lights went out. Started the car a few hours later to put it away, pulled it the garage, shut it down. Lights were on again, just the tail lights. Any idea, is the ignition switch going bad??

Thoughts

Thanks in advance

Mark

#8 ·
There is a bracket up near the pivot point for the brake Pedal where the switch is located. The pedal arm makes constant contact with the switch until the brakes are applied thus activating the break lights.
Locate the switch, spray some Electronic Parts Cleaner on the switch. Have someone press on the brakes, spray some more electronic parts cleaner on the switch and push the switch in and out and see if that makes a difference.
I hope this helps.
Dave

#11 ·
Mg..I would suspect headlight switch.....with key off you can pull it out and running lights will come on, since yours remain on after turn off of key ..I would start there.....

Disconnect neg battery cable...

Then pull out headlight switch to on and turn all the way to left...reach under dash and on left of switch housing you will feel a button push it in and pull out dial and stem,....then gently turn the ring on front of switch unscrewing it...using the indent on ring

push switch out back and down under dash...

Now examine contacts, look for corrosion frayed wires or obvious wires touching.....test with meter if you can....if you have not replaced the switch....you might have to..or want to.....all the Pontiac houses have them.....it is 50 years old after all.....if it was not already replaced

Good luck....if not there...you may have to look at the rear body connectors in the trunk and behind the back seat.....look at a schematic if you can

I would start with the switch....good luck ..you will get it...great car!.......

#12 ·
So, I took all the advice :). Looked the at brake switch, cleaned it, looked at the connector in the trunk and re taped the wires. Also looked at the headlight switch, which appeared to be neat. So, today we have not seen the issue and I have driven the car on maybe 5-7 short errand, could it be fixed? Knock on wood.

Thanks again all!

#13 ·
M hope you got it......!!....if not I would still suspect an internal malfunction of the headlight switch, the small contacts inside wear after so many pulls I suppose....

That will run down your battery if it stays on with car off long enough...

But hey maybe, just maybe it won't come back!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.