LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Where's Bear?

I've been MIA for awhile, spending most if not all my free time building out my new shop addition. I had a building added on that has 14ft tall side walls so there'll be room for a lift. I'm getting too olde to crawl around on the ground.

So far I've finished out all the electrical including significantly improving the lighting in the existing building and powering the new building using a 100amp subpanel. I've added additional bracing to the walls so that I can hang cabinets and whatever else I might want without having to worry about the weight. I'm about ready to do plumbing and create a small bathroom in one corner after I get the whole thing insulated.

The Beast is still down, patiently waiting for me to get this project done so I can deal with the aftermath of that failed rocker arm on the Power Tour this past summer. My plan is to take advantage of the opportunity to step it up a little in the power department and also deal with the last remnants of the 2013 engine fire, and maybe try to improve the A/C system.

A few photos:

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 06:15 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Damn, real nice. I think your wife just became a garage/car widow! I'd be setting it up with a bed, TV, hot plate,microwave........... I love the smell of oil & gas in the morning.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 06:28 PM
Former Moderator

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Wowee that's real nice there Bear! I'm ready to move in, we can get some bunk beds and don't forget the coffee pot Jim!

Gone....but not forgotten....

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Very nice Bear!
I just bought a house in Northern Arizona right off route 66 with a 3 car garage and 1/2 bath.
It also has a 100 amp sub panel.
Jim the neighbor next door has is alky fueled modified in there for the winter and I will be using his enclosed race trailer in the spring to haul my goat there in style.

I also plan on enclosing the carport in the front to make it a tad bigger in the spring.
South Rims has a great lunch menu with Arizona craft beers and Arizona wines.
As a bonus there is a restomodded '67 GTO parked inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Williams 001.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	402.6 KB
ID:	82778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Williams 010.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	780.6 KB
ID:	82786   Click image for larger version

Name:	cardload4 067.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	328.3 KB
ID:	82794   Click image for larger version

Name:	cardload4 068.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	669.2 KB
ID:	82802   Click image for larger version

Name:	cardload4 069.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	899.9 KB
ID:	82810  

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 08:31 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Garage
I've come to the conclusion that as we age, its no longer about our love for women, its about the love for our cars and our man cave. Gotta hang that sign out "No Women Allowed" at the entry way and our motto is "What happens in the man cave stays in the man cave."
tiretread likes this.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 10:57 AM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Wow! They sure do things BIG in Texas! Congrats on the shop, and I love the sign...from your dad's old dealership? That's gotta go up! It's a shame most of us have to wait until we're old and decrepit before we get a shop with a hoist, etc.....I sure could have used mine for the past 35 years or so! Looking great! Here's my in-town expansion a few years back....oh well. All my photos are now too big to post. Anyway, great to hear from you, Rob!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

In my case my present garage is 19 by 19 so I can't even do things like pulling the axles so even though my new garage isn't all that big it is a vast improvement on what I have now.
Bear's shop is truly a dream garage, if I had it I would disappear in there and my wife wouldn't ever see me again.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 12:21 PM

Looks good Rob!
What did you go with for shop lighting? Am at that point.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Garage
I put up 6 of these in the new building with the 14ft + ceilings (it's 25 x 30) ...

Lithonia Lighting 4-Light T5 White High Output Fluorescent High Bay-IBC 454 MV - The Home Depot

and 12 of these in the existing building with 8 ft ceilings (this part is 30 x 50) .

Lithonia Lighting 4 ft. High Output White T5 Fluorescent Multi-Volt Strip Light-ZR 1 54T5HO MVH - The Home Depot

Mrs. Bear insists that I need a bathroom in the place, so I've now begun on the plumbing for that. Since I had plenty of free space in the electrical service panel and didn't really want to use up a lot of space with a water heater tank, I decided to go "overkill" on the water heater and put in one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Stiebel-Eltro...4+water+heater

I got it installed and running last night. So far, it works great!

Bear

BearGFR
Springtown, TEXAS
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 04:57 AM

Looks good! Thanks for the info on the lights. Am also at 14' wall height with flush mount girts/z purlins holding up roof. Been looking into lighting options. My brother converted over his long fluorescent fixtures by pulling the ballasts & went with some direct from China LED bulbs. His comments was the Chinese LED tubes "aren't there yet" & he only has a 10 ft ceiling. Had high intensity sodium lights outside at my old place, but they are expensive to run. Just may end up with similar fluorescent fixtures & use small cantilevered arm LED fixtures @ my workstations. Am really wanting to do the instant hot water for a bathroom sink. Have a corner in the front where eventually will be finishing a small bathroom. Am putting off the bathroom til next year, as front of building is aprox 250 ft behind our deck & pool, and our septic tank & field is adjacent to the pool. Its also up hill aprox a foot the entire run from the shop to the septic tank, so am going to have to have some form of bilge pump. Nothing is ever easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.