Young children in older vehicles - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Young children in older vehicles

Can any of you who have small children - using a booster seat possibly - let me know what you did for safety and securing a seat. Some of you must be doing this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Well I've got a 69 LeMans and has the lap belts in back. I just have some spare cheapo walmart car seats, which I use the 5pt harness it comes with on the child but then just put the lap belt over their laps/harness. Neither kid 3-1/2 and 1-1/2 have complained about it yet. I plan on installing safety hooks in the rear deck for the safety strap on the top back side of the child seat. I'm not to boosters yet but I'd assume you'd just use the lap belt and not drive like a maniac? haha
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KowalskiCW View Post
Well I've got a 69 LeMans and has the lap belts in back. I just have some spare cheapo walmart car seats, which I use the 5pt harness it comes with on the child but then just put the lap belt over their laps/harness. Neither kid 3-1/2 and 1-1/2 have complained about it yet. I plan on installing safety hooks in the rear deck for the safety strap on the top back side of the child seat. I'm not to boosters yet but I'd assume you'd just use the lap belt and not drive like a maniac? haha
thanks for the reply. i will be using a booster seat that also has the back support. the lap belt is sufficient to secure the seat in place, but i was wondering if anyone had come up with a system to 'replace' the shoulder belt aspect of a 3-point belt. in an abrupt stop, there would currently be nothing to stop the child's upper body from coming forward. i'm looking for ideas to adapt a shoulder belt somehow that also latches down where the lap belt attaches. just curious what others have done for this purpose.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-12-2017, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by linden_gto View Post
thanks for the reply. i will be using a booster seat that also has the back support. the lap belt is sufficient to secure the seat in place, but i was wondering if anyone had come up with a system to 'replace' the shoulder belt aspect of a 3-point belt. in an abrupt stop, there would currently be nothing to stop the child's upper body from coming forward. i'm looking for ideas to adapt a shoulder belt somehow that also latches down where the lap belt attaches. just curious what others have done for this purpose.
This won't help but part of the reason I was able to buy my GTO was that a young couple (to me, I'm over 60) had the GTO for several years but had a very young child and this problem plagued them. Also getting around into the 2-door back seat with the child and a child seat they didn't trust led them to sell the car as they didn't trust someone putting in any 3-point in the back and having it fail in a collision. Gain for me, gain for them as they got a vehicle they really wanted with the newest safety features (and a warranty).

You might want to talk with Juliano's Rod parts as they have been making DOT approved seat belts for street rodders for decades. I've seen 1940 Ford sedans with 3-point child seats in the back seat area at GoodGuys shows. Here's their link:

Street Rod Parts ~ Replacement Seat Belts

You might to actually call them as they create stuff that's not always on the site. 1-860-872-1932

Best of luck!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-13-2017, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the information, 421. i'll look into the possibilities and hopefully i'll find a solution that i believe is safe. i don't plan for it to be an other or situation. i just need something anchored behind the rear seat back that can come over and anchor with the lap belt. she'll never be in the car on long drives, but i still want something that keeps her safe. i will look into Street Rod Parts. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO General Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.