Pontiac GTO Forum banner

10 Bolt Posi Help

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Todd J Sullivan 
#1 ·
I'm sitting in my garage, frustrated. I have a GM 10 bolt with posi Trac rear diff I'm trying to install in my 69 custom s. The problem is in pulling the axles. I can't get to the c clips because of the posi Trac unit. I'm not certain how to pull it out or if I should. I can't get to the c clips. Can anyone please help me and point me in the right direction. I'm not certain what type of posi Trac unit this is. Thank you so much.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Pinion Head is the expert on rear ends. Send him a PM with your question. If it is a Pontiac 10-bolt, no C-clips, the axle bearings are pressed on and the end plate with its 4 bolts holds the bearing in place as well as the tight fit into the axle tube. Just gotta use some muscle sometimes to yank them free. I secure the rear end, install a drum backwards, finger tighten the 5 lugs, then use the drum like a slide hammer and keep at it - but that's my ******* way of doing it.

If it is a Chevy 10-bolt, it has C-clips.

#7 ·
Thanks Bear,
I tracked it down to an "Aussie Locker". I'm going to remove the springs which should allow me to access the C Clips.
It'll be interesting running a locker. I have one in a 1959 Afla Veloce race car. Hopefully, there's no comparison.
When funds allow, I'll probably change it out. I'm looking at building the suspension in a canyon carver (tired of sports cars...).
Tjs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.