1Likes
  • 1 Post By PontiacJim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Gear Vendors Overdrive

I've posted this request before with no response. I'll give it another try. I have been unhappy with my turbo 400 in my 66 GTO. That is to say, the transmission performs well with one needed feature. I really want and need an overdrive that is to say a fourth gear. Now I know some of you will say why don't you just put in an overdrive transmission, I believe 2004R is the one for the Pontiac. I thought about that and the cost of having one built for me and installed at the transmission shop is somewhere around $4000 . I cannot do the install myself from my home. I've also considered purchasing 2004R transmission from bowtie overdrive in Southern California. The cost is reasonable at around $2400. But again I have no way to install it and transmission shops i've talk to shy away from installing other companies products. So, I have decided and then going forward and purchased the gear vendors overdrive. $2800 ..... I believe the instructions are clear and I can install this at my home with little difficulty. So my question is : Has anyone installed gear vendors in your GTO and are you happy with the performance? Thanks in advance for any response to this post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 06:21 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Garage
I honestly can't recall anyone on the forums going to or using a Gear Venders OD. Most will go with the later automatic trans with the OD.

Doing a little fact checking, seems the automatic OD can run near $4-$4,500 - Ouch! the 2004r seems to be the easiest swap, but not necessarily the best when it comes to handling big torque and sticky tires. The other trans types seem to require more mods and electronic controllers to work. Sounds like too much work and rigging to me.

The TH400 is one of the most rugged of them all, so the Gear Venders OD seems to be the better value overall. Read all the installation info and it seems fairly straight forward. Got to have the driveshaft shortened and you have to change fluids every 5,000 miles.

If you do it, post your progress with some pics and then give us your opinion on it all.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks very much for responding to my post. Yes, I've done a little fact checking myself and as you stated the cost of an overdrive transmission whether it's the 700 or the 200 is more than I want to spend. I understand there's other issues with the kickdown adjustments and or install. Anyway I've begun the process of putting it in my GTO. I've taken the driveshaft off and I've taken the tail housing off the turbo 400. One thing that those of you that are considering this may look out for, there's no gasket for the New tail shaft housing but your vendors. They have engineered an O ring seal for that purpose. So far, it's been somewhat of a struggle for me to knock out or in large , if you will, the tunnel for the gear vendors to properly fit the A body. Here is a video of what I've accomplished so far. It's a video I made for my friend Bob.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Sorry can't seem to post a video on this thing. I'll keep trying. If not I'll take some stills tomorrow and post them.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 12:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoearl View Post
Sorry can't seem to post a video on this thing. I'll keep trying. If not I'll take some stills tomorrow and post them.
Pics will work. More research seems to indicate that you may have to dimple the floor slightly for those two top bolts/ears.

No bad comments or reviews on the unit and some guys have them behind big cube/high HP engines with no problems at all. Looks like a good investment and better choice over a modified OD automatic.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 08:43 PM

I have a 68 that I'm working out some bugs in now. It has the 2.93 gears so the gear vending unit with maybe 3.55 would really wake this up and still be fun on highway. Please take a ton of pictures and post us as you go. I will be most likely doing the same on my 68. Doug
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

update

Thanks so much again for the comments. I have gotten a little further in the install. I think I'm almost there as far as the "massaging" of the tunnel. Here is a few pictures. I do have a short video but unable to upload to this site. I also ran across an article on the subject. Got it from the PY Online Pontiac blog.

Must download photos to your computer to view....Must be too large of a photo to view from the site directly. Sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	376B100D-2AEF-4769-B738-405248E12398.JPG
Views:	15
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	90610   Click image for larger version

Name:	7722EF5E-31E1-4708-B4A9-2C63AA137056.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	90618   Click image for larger version

Name:	98245EC3-5885-4769-8295-C8BA1BBBD203.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	90626   Click image for larger version

Name:	F4F0BC34-7923-4215-AB88-A54C20582023.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	90634  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf gv.pdf (551.4 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by gtoearl; 05-10-2017 at 06:13 PM. Reason: picture file size
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 07:37 PM

Garage
Pictures that are too large, ie pixel settings, won't upload. I have one of those free picture resizer programs to reduce the size of the photo so I can post them here. That may be what is happening with your photos.

Looking good so far and seems fairly simple and forward with the install.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Getting closer

Well after a few sessions of modifying the tunnel area the gear vendors overdrive portion has been installed. I will start on the electrical portion in a day or so. I do have a few questions for those of you out there that are reading this blog. I plan to change The fluid in the Turbo 400 transmission. Also will be installing a fresh transmission pan gasket and filter. My question is: I believe I need Denton III fluid.. i've looked around and Dexron three specifically is not out there..... there's other types of fluid that say replace Decron three... synthetics and mixtures that say replace the dexron III... any ideas on transmission fluid in general?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:32 PM

Garage
You want to be careful as to what fluid you select. No expert, but do the research. It is my understanding that some of the "modern" fluids can be too slick for the later tranmissions unless recommended by your builder. Many use the Ford Type F fluid instead of the Dextron which I was always told was a thicker/heavier fluid.

The power steering on my '97 Toyota required the Dextron. It had a good leak in one of the hoses. I used the Type F because it was thicker. It slowed down the leak and I didn't have to fill as often. If I used Dextron, I had to keep and eye on the fill level and add more often. Ran it that way for 3-4 years until the leak got to the point I had to install a new hose.

You might want to use an aftermarket fluid like B & M. Yes, it'll cost more, but it is good. I used it in one of my GTO's with TH-400 when I was a kid. Most would recommend this if you asked around, so I used it myself. No problems and it held up to my lead foot. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-80259
1968gto421 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Undercarriage, Frame, Transmission and Differential Discussions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.