User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-19-2017, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
1970 gto door panel install

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks to helping us with the clips that hold the door panel to the doors. Our cardboard backing is starting to get weak and rip. So when we get the clips to pop into the door after awhile the clips themselves pull away from the card board backing on the door panel itself. Any solves for this aside from rebuilding the door panel itself?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 11:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mage: I just pulled my panels off of my 70 GTO a few weeks ago and had the same problem. The vinyl is original and pretty much perfect, so I don't want to get into rebuilding a door panel right now.

I actually got some aluminum sheet at Home Depot (22 gauge, I think?), cut some 2"square patches, and drilled a hole in them. Then I slipped them between the vinyl and the cardboard to give the clip something to bite into. Seems to be holding pretty well so far.

Just be careful pulling the vinyl away from the edges of the cardboard. I found it real easy to rip it and the cardboard backer. Use some 3M weatherstrip adhesive and clamp the vinyl back around the panel. Maybe this helps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Convertible Top, Interior, Glass and Trunk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.