Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Dash pad questions

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Pinion head 
#1 ·
Hello all, I'm new to the forum and have a million questions but I'll start with this one. When using a dash pad cover versus the actual dash does it have to slide over the old crusty dash. I wouldn't think anyone would want an old cracked, crusty dash under a new dash cover. At least I wouldn't. Can the original dash be taken out and the dash cover be put in its place? This is not a resto but a race car build. I recall an episode of street outlaws when Chief debuts the crow. It shows him painting pieces of the interior. I swear it looked as if he put a plastic dash cover over the bare dash. There was no gauge cluster or anything. .

#4 ·
have ran across a similar deal. '69 GTO racecar builder took a '69 LeMans/GTO plastic dash asm cover, then cut out two partial holes where his front rollcage hoop front bars came through. Then he took his time with a small diamond pattern thin expanded metal & trimmed & fit multiple pieces for support, rivetting this new mesh structure together. Last, he taped off the edges of the plastic cover, gauges holes, & shot an expandable foam on the back side, then trimmed everything with a razor blade. Was told he saved 7 lbs, & honestly it looked pretty good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.