Installing stock ball vents in non-A/C dash... - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Installing stock ball vents in non-A/C dash...

i'm quite hesitant to do this, but i honestly think it's likely the best aesthetic solution to the vintage air ducting issue. i'm planning a vintage air install in a '67 GTO, but i despise the long, plastic duct that runs under the length of the dash in their GTO kit - looks horrible. so, i had an idea (beyond simply mounting flat ducts on either side of the car under the dash - which is option #2 ), but i can't decide if it's worth doing, as it would mean cutting into a perfectly fine dash in a NOM car. the plan is to possibly cut 2 circular holes into the dash where the stock side ball vents go and actually mount stock ball vents (see pics) into the dash. the center vents would not be done, just these 2 outer vents. to me, aesthetically, this would be a very nice finished install, but it would also be non-original. any thoughts - great finished look/install or bad idea cutting into non-a/c dash??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gto_acvents.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	86666   Click image for larger version

Name:	1967-Dash.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	86674  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

no thoughts on this, huh?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
I'm with you on the dislike of the large box under the dash.
Is there any possibility of fabricating some sort of tube/duct system and using 3 or 4 OE lap vents instead?
2 at the center as factory and possibly 2 on the outboard sides of the lower dash.
Far less drastic then cutting out Ball ducts and easily removed.

GTO Jr. - A.K.A. SPRINT 6

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

one idea would be to take something akin to a defrost vent/duct and connect that under the dash and mount as far back as possible with the direction of flow to be slightly higher than horizontal. except for the idea of stock ball vents actually in the dash, everything will look cobbled together and yet still be removal with minimum damage/impact. i just thought the ball vent idea would be a great way to incorporate a vintage air system that had a 'stock-like' appearance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air_duct.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	87002  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

not to mention, the ball vents actually give you control over the airflow direction. a nice plus. still undecided...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think the OE Ball vents would look great. I'm in the same boat but less concerned about originality. Can the OE vents be installed just by cutting holes in the dash? Or were the A/C dashes different? One thing you might be able to do (and this is me just spitballing) is use ball vents that are flat mounted (not curved like the OE ones) and then make some retaining brackets out of sheet metal that would retain the ball vets but allow you to attach them under the dash without having to drill holes in the dash face, but still have a more aesthetically pleasing louvre.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-20-2017, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
The large steel "shell" of the dash is the same shape between non AC & AC cars. Factory AC cars just had the outer holes for the vent ball registers, most of the rest was different dash bezel, ducts, & AC inner & outer structure. As far as hurting value, unless the '67 GTO is a factory 400 HO, or factory RA car, or say a base WT 400 car that was ordered out with close ratio Muncie & 3.90's or 4.33's, you really can't hurt the value much adding the vintage air stuff. IF the car was originally ordered for top performance, my .02 would sell the GTO to someone who appreciates what it is, & then pick up another less common version to streetrod.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

i like your thinking 369. i also think the ball vents would be a great quasi-stock look that will give great functionality and still have a non-aftermarket/after thought appearance. if i don't do the ball vents, i'm pretty sure i will go the route of a defroster style vent tucked up close to the dash bottom and conceal it as much as possible. i know someone who simply angled the ducting down towards the floor, with no 'vent' at all, to make sure he didn't ruin the stock appearance.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion head View Post
The large steel "shell" of the dash is the same shape between non AC & AC cars. Factory AC cars just had the outer holes for the vent ball registers, most of the rest was different dash bezel, ducts, & AC inner & outer structure. As far as hurting value, unless the '67 GTO is a factory 400 HO, or factory RA car, or say a base WT 400 car that was ordered out with close ratio Muncie & 3.90's or 4.33's, you really can't hurt the value much adding the vintage air stuff. IF the car was originally ordered for top performance, my .02 would sell the GTO to someone who appreciates what it is, & then pick up another less common version to streetrod.
i would agree that an HO convertible or a RA car should not be messed with at all, but this is 'just' a 335 car. the issue is, it's an original CA car, all original sheetmetal, all numbers matching, 4-speed, never off the frame, all original in every respect car with even the AIR smog equipment still in place. not especially rare, but a super nice, honest car with a documented title/pink slip history back to CA in 1973. it likely wouldn't hurt the value and i do plan to keep the car (for now - would likely only upgrade to a 4-speed conv. or a HO/RA car), but i just want to respect what the car is before cutting anything up. if i were to do anything, it will be something with stock components and with a stock appearance in mind.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

related question about the venting in a '67 air car - in the pic i have in the original post, you see the side vents, the upper dash vents and 2 lower articulating vents. i have seen pics of '67 A/C interiors with and without the lower 2 vents. can someone comment on whether those 2 lowers were possibly an option to the A/C system or available somehow as an extra? if so, that would also be a very reasonable solution (w/o cutting anything) to the venting on a vintage air system. why the 2 configs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Convertible Top, Interior, Glass and Trunk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.