User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Need help mounting 65 steering column

OK guys I'm about to mount the steering column in my 65 GTO. Not sure about hardware and brackets. I have the lower half of a saddle clamp and two nuts and one "L" shaped bracket. Am I missing something to complete the assy?
Maybe a "U Bolt that would drop down from the dash over the column?? Please help. Thanks in advance. Vern
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
you are missing 2 steering column support brackets (they 3/8" round rods that are about 8-10 inches long the end that attaches at the top (under the top of the dash at the firewall)has a flattened area with a hole for a bolt, the other end is threaded with a stop flange) these rods go into the steering column bracket that is part of the dash, and then the lower half of the bracket ( a separate piece)goes around the bottom of the column and onto the threaded ends and you put the nuts on to hold it in place. I took a piece of 1/8" rubber and wrapped it around the column where the bracket goes. I do not think the L bracket is part of the steering- if the bracket is actually a double bent L bracket (more like a stretched S) then that is for the radio
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Crusty. I think you jogged my memory. There are two rods like you mentioned in my interior parts box. They must be for the column support. Back to the garage for more digging. Thanks bud, I owe you a cold one.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I got em! The rods come down and also support the clutch pedals and then the column can be mounted from below. Thank you sir.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Convertible Top, Interior, Glass and Trunk
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.