Pontiac GTO Forum banner

gas tank vent

9K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  lakedude2 
#1 ·
pulled tank out of my 65 gto. was leaking where neck connected to tank. tank looks pretty new. there is a vent tube in side of filler neck with no connections. sending unit has a 1/4 inch tube that is capped.is an air car, but not useable. should either of these vents be used. motor is a 455 with 62 heads.

#4 ·
I suppose I didn't try to answer your question. I do ok without the return line on my '67 a/c car. I believe the tank vent shown is needed. If you have a full tank of gas and get on it, gas could come out of the vent on the side of the filler neck. You can cap it, but then I think you might have a back pressure problem when fueling. Cap it and see how things behave.

#5 ·
The 1965 GTO Gas tank vent is a piece of gas line with a u-shaped piece of steel line with a crimp in it fitted in one end. (available from Ames) Pull down the license plate, work off the old line if any is there. Put the vent piece of fuel line on the tank vent. I used spring clamps on both ends. On the bottom side of the trunk floor there is a bendable tab that bends over the steel line to hold it against the bottom side of the trunk floor. Job done

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.