User Tag List

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Saggin' asses...

unfortunately, i see a lot of first-gen GTOs out there with their asses dragging in the rear. i assume the culprit of this is simply worn springs (and shocks) in the rear suspension. what do people here like for replacement springs to go back to a stock ride height?? i plan to drop the nose 1" with BMR springs, so i want stock height in the rear for a slight rake.

car is question is a '67 hardtop.

thanks in advance for the insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
When new the rear ends of GTOs were slightly lower in the rear.
My springs were worn and I replaced them and added 1" aluminum spacers to the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO RS Run 008.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	578.3 KB
ID:	86514  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Had my share of ride height issues with using generic coil springs. Learned many years ago, there are only two coil spring manufacturers in the US. Since that time have ordered new springs manufactured by Coil Spring Specialties in St Mary's, Kansas.

Coil Spring Specialties
1968gto421 likes this.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 09:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used Moog cargo springs to restore my rear ride height to a nice stance.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion head View Post
Had my share of ride height issues with using generic coil springs. Learned many years ago, there are only two coil spring manufacturers in the US. Since that time have ordered new springs manufactured by Coil Spring Specialties in St Mary's, Kansas.

Coil Spring Specialties
Agreed. My brother, the Chevelle guy, has used Coil Spring Specialties himself several times and never been disappointed.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
thanks for the heads up on Coil Spring Specialties. always good to have a 'verified' vendor.

wouldn't the direct replacement Moog rear springs also be a safe bet? i think since i want to drop the nose 1", the stock ride height in the back should be about perfect.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 01:41 PM

Moog springs are generic, but much more so on the fronts, same with poorly packaged generic front coils from PST. you won't know which coil is for drivers side & for passenger. The generic rears are not nearly that bad.

On rear springs for A body's, not getting into weight of car, or stiffer suspension for say, a 442 or GTO or not, what one will typically run across is A-body convertibles & station wagons got slightly taller rear springs as they were heavy in the #ss end. Mind you there are many different actual usage rear springs. ElCamino's received the shortest rear springs & at least up through '72, ElCo's had factory air shocks, to help level the ride... not something that is accepted in hooking up a performance Abody as airshocks creates a bind & wheel hop.

In decades of pulling rearend cores to build, have actually pulled Moog replacement rear coils springs that had a blue plastic coating on them. Not sure how long that plastic like shrink sleeve was used on them, but the first time I ran across such a pair, I was stripping a '71 or '72 Skylark convert & pulling its 8.5 A-body rear in a Grand Prairie Pick-N-Pull. In stripping that particular convert I found the Moog box in the trunk jambed up & down against the rh quarter panel on the rh side of the spare tire. As they were coming out, bought the rear coils for no more than $10, as they looked tall & fit in one of my trips with the wheel barrow. Ended up installing those springs in a customer's car I built a posi rear for. Always have remembered the blue plastic coating as the Skylark convert was also a bright blue same as my Lucerne blue Pontiacs, & I thought the plastic type sleeve was odd at the time.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

when dealing with Coil Spring Spec., are most of you actually spec'ing a spring like the web quote specifies or are you simply calling and asking for a 'rear spring for a '67 GTO 400'? i don't want to make this anymore complicated than it needs to be - i just want a quality spring that will remedy/provide stock ride height. maybe they have a variety of 'classic cars' already in their database and you simply have to request a model/year.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 11:29 AM

For my own, as well as customer's Pontiac A & F body restorations, have always specified the springs by original application & original part numbers. CSS has all the original design specs & GM part numbers. They can also manufacture & supply different spring rate coils that are slightly lower, or taller. On a heavily modified vehicle, you can also total the weight reduction points that you've undertaken; i.e., substitution of aluminum heads & intake, fiberglass hood, fiberglass or carbon fiber endura nose, removal of AC system, bumper structure removal, alum master, change to manual strg, elimination of sound deadener, etc... & they will take the weight savings into the formula & specify the front coil springs your vehicle needs.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
For my own, as well as customer's Pontiac A & F body restorations, have always specified the springs by original application & original part numbers. CSS has all the original design specs & GM part numbers. They can also manufacture & supply different spring rate coils that are slightly lower, or taller. On a heavily modified vehicle, you can also total the weight reduction points that you've undertaken; i.e., substitution of aluminum heads & intake, fiberglass hood, fiberglass or carbon fiber endura nose, removal of AC system, bumper structure removal, alum master, change to manual strg, elimination of sound deadener, etc... & they will take the weight savings into the formula & specify the front coil springs your vehicle needs.
that's perfect. that's what i hoped was a possibility with production cars of standard weight. easier to simply call up and ask for a stock height rear spring for a '67 GTO, if i don't have any specific needs as far as reduction of weight, etc.

now, knowing that the GTO sits a bit low in the back stock, i'll have to discuss with them what would be necessary to have a 1" rake in the front if the rear was left at stock height. a 1" drop spring in the front may actually result in a flat stance, which i could also live with. i just don't like the 'saggin' ass' look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, Lemans & GTO Exhaust, Suspension, Alignment, Fuel Tank and Brakes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.