35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Central Virginia Machine Service (CVMS) Negative Review

WARNING! Do not send your engine to this hack!

Well after almost a year of waiting to get this engine back from Jim L. @ CVMS including tearing it back down to a long block to fix things like rusted tins, cracked hub, leaking timing cover etc. I again had noise coming from the rockers and since this was the third time I needed to go back in to adjust I decided to pull one of the Magnum roller rockers to see WTF was going on.
Evidently Jim just pulled whatever push rods out of his junk pile, the rod on the bottom in the pic is the proper rod, the other 15 were destroyed by the lift on the cam and just hammered into fragments.
At least one out of the 16 was right.

I ordered a new set from Comp cams, they arrived and I installed them yesterday and used a magnet to get all the fragments I could and changed the oil and filter.
Of course the damage has been done, I now have 2 pounds of oil pressure at idle and 20 pounds at 3,000 RPM.
500 miles on the engine and it is junk, thanks Jim thousands of dollars pissed down a rathole over 30 dollars worth of pushrods.
I wouldn't send a lawnmower engine to CVMS and at this point I don't know what I am going to do with this car since there are no more reputable Pontiac builders and I don't have another 7K to throw away.
If anyone wants this car click on my pics and make me an offer, I have over 60K into it and am done putting money into it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pushrods 001.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	386.4 KB
ID:	76706   Click image for larger version

Name:	pushrods 003.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	426.6 KB
ID:	76714  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hope you cool off and do the right thing which is to take him to court so he does not screw any others. Not sure of state but most have a small claim court process that you could handle your self with pictures and a good write up from a willing engine builder. May not have the limits but might get close and maybe he will settle long before, best luck Doug
post #3 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If this is them have you tried this???CVMS warrants all products against defects in workmanship. New parts purchased through CVMS are warranted by the manufacturer, and CVMS will act as an agent for the customer in the event of a warranty claim. Parts not purchased through CVMS are the responsibility of the provider.
Complete engines machined and assembled by CVMS, and parts supplied by CVMS, intended for normal highway use, are warranted for a period of one (1) year from date of delivery (or pickup) or 12,000 miles, which ever occurs first. That warranty is limited to engine assembly and parts attached by CVMS, and does not include incidental damage.
Labor charges for work performed under this warranty are limited to the fair and traditional charges for the operations performed. CVMS must authorize any warranty related work prior to accepting the charges.
CVMS does not pay labor claims to private party installations.
Any issues arrising from neglect or abuse, including but not limited to, racing or other performance contest, overheating, oil starvation, application of nitrous oxide, etc. are not covered under warranty.
Issues arrising from installation are the responsibility of the installer.
There are no warranties, implied or expressed, for any racing or other competition application engines, either to performance or longevity.

post #4 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Yeah read that bogus warranty, the guy is done and sold the biz.
The guy is 2,400 miles away and I am not going to waste time and money on a small claims court action that will net me an uncollectable judgment.
The rods I sent with the engine were all the welded ball type like the one at the bottom in the pic and were checked before I sent them.
I don't have a clue what happened to my parts or why the wrong rods were installed all I know is I got royally screwed by Jim L. @ CVMS.
I have zero recourse as far as getting anything back all I can do is post this info so the next poor SOB may find this review and not send his engine to this hack.
Pisses me off, I did my due diligence and research because I didn't want to be the chump that spent thousands and got 500 miles out of the engine yet here I am, shoddy workmanship and I am also out the 15 hundred in shipping both ways just to have this ******* lose bolts and FUBAR my engine.
post #5 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
CVMS did the rebuild on my 389 tri-power. I was in the process of installing the motor when I was pulled away on 04/29/16 for family issues. I'll be home by 05/29/16 and plan to get re-started asap. I hope I will not have the same issues GR is having, I'll keep the board posted.
post #6 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 08:01 AM
Former Super Moderator

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I'd be tempted to install the right push rods, pull the engine and pull the pan. Replace the oil pump and main and rod bearings if an inspection of them showed wear. If they are wore you'll more then likely get your pressure back.
zrsteve and 60sPontiacs like this.
post #7 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Sorry, man, this sucks horribly I can surely understand your being PO'd big time. If you don't sell her, perhaps Rukee's thoughts have some merit.

I for one appreciate you posting this BS from CVMS....I had entertained thoughts about him re-doing my tired engine. NOT NOW. I had a very thoughtful meticulous Ford racing machinist do a Chev 350 for my Studebaker and he did it beautifully. Although I sold it two years ago, I hear from friends in NC that the 350 is still smoking newer Camaros and Mustangs. My point is that I think I'll talk to him about learning Pontiac idiosyncrasies and do the work here where I can stop in every day. An intelligent conscientious machinist can learn to do Pontiacs, just as they learn IH engines, etc. I'm thinking it is crap that only 1/2 dozen guys in the whole USA can do a Pontiac engine. Sticking with local people who are trustworthy makes more sense to me.

Am really sorry you got the shaft from someone who reputedly was a really good shop. Hopefully some lemonade can be made from this lemon experience.
We are all rooting for you
Goat Roper likes this.
post #8 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 12:06 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
This SUCKS. But, I would cool off and do exactly as Rukee suggested. If your crank is scored, that's something else. But if it's just the bearings, it's a cheap and easy fix...Backing away from this thing, and looking at it with an overview, you have an otherwise cherry and gorgeous '67 GTO in a great color combination. Even with a $500 junkyard engine, the car would be pretty special. Take a break, and get back to us. I feel VERY poorly about being one of the guys that recommended CVMS in the first place. There are some excellent shops in southern Ca, and they are listed on the AMES website. Paul Carter is one of the guys, and he's in AZ, but I would consider talking to him....I'd bet he'd help.
zrsteve likes this.
post #9 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

It isn't your fault GTOG I just happened to be the guy in the queue when Jim's eye went south.
When I got it back with the cracked hub, missing parts and rusted out tins I should have torn it down further than I did and I would have found those bogus rods.
I am just flat out of cash and haven't even told the wife the engine is junk, I just want the car to quietly go away at this point.
post #10 of 121 (permalink) Old 05-23-2016, 05:35 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Garage
I hate that you have all these problems, man, one after another. Never seen anything like it. Good thing that isn't my motor because I would be making a personal road trip with engine in tow. Guarantee problem would be solved.

I gotta ask this out of curiosity. What kind of lift does your cam have? What is the rocker ratio of your Magnum roller rockers?
Pinion head likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.