2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Fitech fuel injection setup/ issues?

I bought my wife a '67 LeMans convertible. The poor original OHC6 puked & burnt more oil than I could keep in. 2 months after buying the car, it now has a new XU 1967 400 motor w/ 061 heads. Everything stock with exception to the Melling SPC-7 cam & Comp Cam Roller tip rockers. The car ran decent with a new Edelbrock 600 carb but it needed more, even after changing things around with a new calibration kit.

That's when I decided to give a Fitech 600 a try with the rear mounted electric pump. With the wife driving it, I figured the fuel injection would be maintenance-free, no-carb-problem upgrade.

My first impression was the AMAZING throttle response it had, not to mention it burned efficient (no heavy exhaust smell). I decided to run down and fill the tank for a test drive. As I'm pumping fuel, a crowd congregates around checking the car out. After some chit chat, I hop in and attempt to start the car. It tries...and tries...and tries.... I make some adjustments on the hand held controller...nothing. Long story short: I sat at least 30 minutes before the car would start and sadly this would continue ALL summer long. Many hours on hold with FiTech and no real resolution. The car will start but it takes at least 3 attempts and you have to feather the gas to do it (kinda defeats the purpose of fuel injection). Quite embarrassing when you're at a car show or have a crowd gathering around at a gas station.

I've reprogrammed at least 6 times, made hundreds of adjustments (as advised by FiTech), added more grounding straps, wrapped the system wires in 3M shielding tape (to prevent any possible electrical interference issues), checked/rechecked/double rechecked timing (all good), checked vacuum (a bit low at round 7-8 at idle) but I've never owned a Pontiac with high vacuum before (my '65 runs @ about 6-8 on idle). I'm at wits end!

Anyone else make the plunge with the FiTech system and have had success/ problems/ issues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
No experience with that system but does is require a certain fuel pressure for startup? On EFI vehicles I've owned that developed startup problems, low (or no) fuel pressure was usually the cause.

2005 Pontaic GTO - CGM 6 Speed (My car)
2017 Chevrolet Colorado 2WT (My daily driver)
2010 Mercedes Benz C300 Sedan (Wife's car)
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I was contemplating installing a fuel pressure gauge to see if I was getting the correct pressures (I believe 58 psi).

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 12:01 PM

That would be the operating pressure but does that system require a certain amount of pressure to be held for startup or does it do a instant prime when the key is turned on?

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
"That would be the operating pressure but does that system require a certain amount of pressure to be held for startup or does it do a instant prime when the key is turned on?"

It requires 58 psi of pressure. When you turn the key, the pump engages for about 2 seconds and clicks off...line pressurized...ready to start (I assume the internal fuel regulator has the sufficient pressure and shuts the pump down momentarily until it starts). You can change the initial prime by increasing the amount on the handheld. The only problem is that I've done this over and over. My hard start issues are strange because after 3,4 or 5 failed attempts to start the car...I adjust just one random, insignificant number on the handheld and it will typically fire up (with the help of feathering the pedal). It sucks to start but great when it runs...
Really frustrating.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-19-2017, 04:03 PM

A pressure gauge would be a good idea. I'd be curious to know what the fuel pressure is in those two seconds before startup. Is that adjustable?

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2017, 06:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP11 View Post
A pressure gauge would be a good idea. I'd be curious to know what the fuel pressure is in those two seconds before startup. Is that adjustable?
I don't believe it is adjustable. I will try the pressure gauge...it can't hurt. Thank you!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 01:56 PM
64-67 Expert

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
There are a bunch of guys on the Corvette forum who've dabbled with add-on fuel injection, and I would say that 80-90% of them ended up taking it back off due to performance and reliability issues, along with poor product support. All of them spent a ton of $$$ and time. My advice is to yank it and install a stock intake with a quadrajet carb, or bolt on a tripower set up. These units are more reliable than aftermarket fuel injection if set up properly in the first place. I have a '67 GTO convertible with 250,000 miles on the clock, with its original Q-jet carb and points distributor. Stone reliable for the past 35 years I've driven it, with the last carb overhaul about 25 years back. Young women can drive carbureted cars---they just need to be educated. If they're my age, they learned to drive on carbureted cars, and calling them young would probably be a bit of a stretch!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Oh that poor Lemans. OHC 6 CLINIC IS WAITING

We've seen this way to many times after attempts "to make more power"
Ask anyone who has transplanted an OHC 6 for a run of the mill V8,
Your Lemans is likely suffering from Transplant Rejection.
Luckily you didn't go with an LS transplant or your Lemans would likely be dead.

The good news is there is hope but time is of the essence, you may be able to save her with another OHC.
ACT FAST the clock is ticking...

Pictured below is an OHC on Life Support waiting to be re-installed.

Sorry couldn't resist, I feel your pain but always sad to see another Cammer sacrifice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GM PIC 5AAA.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	85953  
geeteeohguy and Bobbyg like this.

GTO Jr. - A.K.A. SPRINT 6
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Geeteeoh...i am a patient person but last summer sucked, as far as cruising. I have never had carb issues and my 65 tripower has never failed me. My problem to overcome is my investment $$$ in this system. I'm stubborn or at least that's what my wife tells me. Some guys have zero problems but I'm hearing more bad than good now that Fitech has been on the market for awhile. I will give it one last go but I'll have a carb ready to go...just in case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.