"Spotty" cam - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
"Spotty" cam

I saw this advertised on ebay. At first I thought it was a reproduction 068 cam, then I read the description again after reading the specs.

Has anybody ever heard of Spotts Performance?

Here is the ebay ad:

The famous "068" high lift cam by Spotts Performance

My most popular cam for the person who "wants a little more cam"

This cam is like using the Ram Air 068 cam with 1.65 rocker arms, but for less money!* This cam has the same lift while using 1.5 rockers - so you can use all the factory rockers, springs etc.

Good idle with slight lope, makes good vacuum for power brakes. Works great for stock 389-455 (or stroker engines) but makes more power.
Most popular for 389-400 engines - but great for 455s
I have this cam in a heavy 74 Firebird with 455 and 6X heads and car runs 12's in quarter mile with no head porting!

I also have this cam in many 389 tripower engines - just ask around

Good for cars with AC and power brakes and stock rear gears. Makes excellent low end torque.

Works on high and low compression
9:1 or higher for 326/350/389/400 engines
8.5:1 or higher for 421/428/455 and 461 plus stroker engines)

Great for AC and power brake cars.
This cam makes power, while still using stock valve springs
or use my or VSH1 springs
(clearances must be checked by competent machine shop) .

cam specs:

288/298 adv duration
214/224 duration at .050
443/465 lift with 1.5 rocker arms
449/471 lift with 1.52 rocker arms
473/496 lift with my 1.6 roller rockers (see my other auctions)
112 lobe separation, 69 degree overlap
Intake Center line: 108 Degrees
Valve Adjustment: Zero Lash Plus Turn

Works great for Q-jets or tripower - an perfect for any carburetor and intake combination - even dual quad. Cam requires poly locks for rocker studs.

Buy from a Pontiac engine builder! Bid in confidence - I've been building Pontiac's and supplying parts since 1979

Made by same company that supplies Melling, Crower, Summit and others - US made! Many of those company's do not supply US made lifters!!!
Note the lifters - these are the best - beware of lifters that do not look like these.
I have NOS lifters that are exactly the same as what I am offering,and these are the only ones I use in my engine builds.
Want to hear this cam? search on you tube for my Pontiac engine builds under spotperf* - this cam is in dual quad 428 video
Free shipping - in stock and* I ship quick!*
Bonus offer! free cam lube and new cam key included!

I have been thinking of using just the tried and true 068 cam for my 389 build.....if the machine shop gives it a good bill of health after its been cleaned and magnafluxed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Very Well Known.
Been around for a long time.
Lots of good post over on PY.

http://www.spottsperformance.com/

GTO Jr. - A.K.A. SPRINT 6
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Spotts is a well respected Pontiac guy.

The cam appears to be the same as the Summit 2801.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-2801

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 08:10 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
Looks like a good cam and should be about what you are looking for. Your heads should have the stock rocker arm studs which means you will torque the rocker arm nuts. The cam states, "Valve Adjustment: Zero Lash Plus Turn " which means you will need to go with something like these (just an example) Crower 86051-16: Sure Lock Rocker Nuts 3/8" Stud Diameter | JEGS

You can also convert your press-in studs with later style screw-in studs, but this will require more machining $$$. I think with the 1.5 rocker ratio (stock) and the 443/465" lift you should be OK with the stock rocker studs. However, if you do elect to buy this cam from Spotts, simply call/email them with the heads you will be using and get their recommendation on the studs and the locking nuts. I would also get their matching lifters and valve springs so as to have a complete and matched/compatible "kit".
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Do you think the lifters he sells are true Pontiac lifters instead of the Chevy-type lifters some cam outfits sell with Pontiac cams?

I am leaning towards using the 068 cam for my build. It is a proven design and my goal is to restore my engine while making the necessary changes to burn low octane swill.

I was also looking at the Melling SPC-7 068 clone. But do you think I could get away with the higher lift (443/465 lift with 1.5 rocker arms vs. .407/.407 lift for the classic 068) with the Spotts 068 with 1.65 rocker-like grind?

I agree that getting the cam with a matched set of valve springs and other valve train pieces is the way to go. I plan on using the pressed in rocker arm studs. A bunch of the wise men on this site have told me I really don't need the screw-in studs for what I'm trying to put together.

I'll have to visit Spotts' web site and find out more about them.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
"... I plan on using the pressed in rocker arm studs..."

To me, that settles your cam choice. I wouldn't use anything bigger than an 068 clone, like the Melling SPC-7, with 1.50 rockers--1.52 roller tips max. This way you can get by with less spring pressure, which will be less likely to pull a stud.

Many might say they have used much bigger cams & higher spring pressures, with press-in studs, and have never pulled a single stud. Many others have not been so lucky. So, it's your call. How lucky are you ?

"...Do you think the lifters he sells are true Pontiac lifters instead of the Chevy-type lifters some cam outfits sell with Pontiac cams?..."

Paul is the real deal. Don't think he would knowingly sell poor quality parts. Many Pontiac guys now recommend the Hylift Johnson "R" lifters. Paul Knippen sells these.

https://www.facebook.com/PaulKnippensMuscleMotors/

Another lifter that may be a good choice, is the Crower Cam Saver. They splash extra oil on the cam lobes. Sounds like a good idea. Don't know who makes those lifters. Haven't read any bad reviews, so far.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Crower/258/66056X3-16/10002/-1

Last edited by bigD; 02-16-2017 at 12:49 PM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

I have another question about the 068 cam. I have seen differing specs for the 068 cam. I have an old GTO source book that contains factory brochure info and advertisements with specs.

The 1965-66 389 Tri Power, 1967-68 400 H.O., 1969-70 400 Ram Air III, and the 1971-72 455 H.O. is listed using the 068 cam. The duration and overlap is the same for all of these: 288 degrees intake/302 degrees exhaust and 63 degrees overlap. What I find different is the lift. It isn't much, but for the 389 Tri Power the lift is listed as .409 intake & exhaust. The 400 H.O. and the Ram Air III is listed with .414 intake/.413 exhaust, and the 455 H.O. is .410 intake/.413 exhaust. The Melling clone is listed .409 intake/.408 exhaust. The duration for the Melling (part number SPC-7) is 212 degrees intake/225 degrees exhaust @ .050.

It isn't much difference, but it appears some of these 068 cams have different specs. Could rocker arm ratio differ, causing the difference?

I have one foot in the door towards using the 068 cam. Will it still be effective with a 9:1 compression ratio? I know the 1960s Pontiac engines that used this cam had ratios above 10:1. The 455 H.O. was 8.4:1, but my engine is a 389, so maybe the smaller displacement could be a factor.

I have heard about those cam saver lifters. The machinist mentioned using a different oil with ZDDP. He mentioned Brad Penn oil. The 068 doesn't have a really high lift, so maybe there is less stress on the lobes. It couldn't hurt to use the oil with the higher zinc content nonetheless.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:03 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Garage
Cam specs are not universal. One cam grinder cam use a different point on the cam lobe to get his/her advertised specs. Some measure advertised duration at tappet lift (hydraulic or solid) while other measure at valve lift, ie .006" lift at the tappet is .009" at the valve. Nothing you listed is enough to make any difference.

Factory SAE specs for the 4-speed HO "068" cam is Intake Lift @ zero lash - .414" +/- .011
Exhaust Lift @ zero lash - ..413" +/- .011" Int.Opens BTC @31, Int.Closes ABC @77, Int.Duration 288, Ex Opens BBC @ 90, Ex Closes ATC @ 32, Ex Duration 302, Overlap 63.

The outer valve springs are the same for both the intake/exhaust 63.3-69.3 lbs @ 1.5613" measured height - valves closed, 132.7-142.7 lbs @ 1.1473" measure height - valves open.

Inner springs show a slight difference for the open measured height for intake/exhaust 54.7-59.7 lbs @ 1.5213" measured height - valves closed, 118.6-128.6 lbs @ 1.073" measure height -intake valve open and 1.083" - exhaust valve open. (.010" difference noted, but unknown as to why. Possibly the seat cut in the head for the exhaust valve or the difference between the 30 degree seat of the intake valve and 45 degree seat of the exhaust valve.)

In Jim Hand's Pontiac book, he states that the Lobe Separation Angle (LSA) is 116 with the Intake Centerline (IC) being 113. LSA is the distance in cam degrees between the intake lobe center and exhaust lobe center. IC is the peak lift point of the intake lobe as measured in crankshaft degrees. The intake and exhaust may not always have the same peak lift point due to unsymmetrical lobe designs of the cam.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 1964-1974 Pontiac Tempest, Lemans & GTO > 1964-1974 Tempest, LeMans & GTO Engine Tuning and High Performance

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.