Pontiac GTO Forum banner

X pipe exhaust, H pipe, or none?

6K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  dimitri 
#1 ·
i got a 69 gto with a 455 ho, with ram air 3 heads, a mild cam, hooker headers, a800cfm eddlebrock carb, and no exaust plumbing at all. i just bought 2 flowmaster muflers.. i want to make a 2 1/2" X pipe but im not sure yet.. ive read that x pipe makes slightly more power than H pipes and seprate exhaust in mustangs but nobody seems to talk about gto exhaust. any body know whats best/ sounds best? thanks any input would be apreceated :)

#9 ·
I understand the H and X theories. But, I like to listen to the exhaust for a miss or stumble and know which side of the motor it is on. Or if you have to pull the tranny the H and X get in the way.
.25 at the strip from an X pipe? I need to read that chapter, .25 is 25 HP, sounds like a ricer HP claim, like those 30 HP CAI.. But, if Jim Hand said it, I believe it..

#12 ·
Jetstang, X2. A full quarter second? Show me the money. I have never run x pipes or H pipes... I like easy accessability without having to drop the exhaust. That said, a buddy has an X-pipe Pypes system on his '65, and it is NICE. The car sounds great, and has a ton of power. Mine own '65 sounds kinda raspy and rough, like an old Pontiac should (Hedmann hedders, Turbo mufflers). Whenever the exhaust is modified, the fuel metering needs to be upgraded, too. Usually a bit richer...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.