Pontiac GTO Forum banner

1967 dash pot & bracket

8K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  67 Tiger 
#1 ·
My 67 gto is missing the carb dash pot. I believe I have the original bracket and I've ordered a replacement dash pot. Does anyone have a photo or description of how the bracket installs on the quadrajet and how the dash pot aligns with the vacuum line and throttle arm? I checked the service manual and didn't see a blow up or reference to this installation.

I've attached a couple of photos showing the open vacuum line (plugged with a screw) and the bracket. If the bracket is the wrong one, any suggestions on where to source a replacement?

Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Here is an exploded view of a Q-Jet. This is a typical view which should be the same, but 1967 could be different. The Dashpot in this view is #19 and the Dashpot lever #8.The description reads: "The Dashpot or diaphragm located at the right-front corner of the carburetor affects the air valve as well as choke operation. It provides smooth opening of the air valve rather than popping open when the secondaries are reached. It is used mostly for less-than-full throttle maneuvers.

Not sure if this is what you were looking for? Is it #50 and bracket #47 that you were questioning?

Attachments

#3 ·
Thanks Jim

The diagram is helpful. #8 is similar but a slightly different lever than mine. It is the bracket I was referring to above. #50 is the vacuum brake for the choke. I was also able to get some feedback from the CHP forums on the part number. I believe all the early automatics came with a vacuum actuated dashpot and they're frequently removed during rebuilds. I wanted to replace it because I recently got the a/c running and thought it might help maintain idle speed. I confirmed the lever I have is original so I'm hoping to re-use it and mount a new dashpot. Most of the NOS or repro parts I have seen look like they have a shorter mount so I was looking for a diagram or photo showing one installed with the correct vacuum line routing. I picked up a few of the rebuild manuals and should now have enough info to go on.

#4 ·
OK, sounds like you you will have some better resources once you get the rebuild manuals. I did not have too much more to offer, but thought the diagram might help a little. Good luck with the carb. Was at the Charlotte Auto Fair and saw many Q-jets for sale, but mostly Chevies, some Pontiacs. Bought a 1968 Olds Q-Jet, manual trans, because it was so cheap and was in very good condition. Know I can apply it to one of my projects.

#5 ·
I was there on Saturday. Pretty good turn out for the Ford, Mopar and Chevy guys. Not as many Pontiacs but I saw a few well done Judges. I'm currently running a '68 Qjet from a Buick until I get my original rebuilt. It's a '66 production date and leaks at the fuel inlet. I think I need a heli-coil insert and a general rebuild kit. I also want to update the float and fulcrum to the later style.

#6 ·
Necromancing this old thread.
I am looking for a dashpot for my '67 QJet carb #7037262.
This pot is press fitted into the bracket like the one pictured above and from searching this part is NLA.
The pot in the Ames catalog for '66 looks like the same pot only with a different bracket.
Has anyone done this replacement and been able to mount this '66 pot into the '67 bracket?

#8 ·
If I recall correctly, this pot was an early version of an anti-diesel switch. If adjusted properly at idle, it was the hard stop for setting idle speed. When you turned the car off, vacuum would disappear and the pot would drop back closing the throttle blades and keep the engine from dieseling. I took mine off and just set the idle using the "regular" idle stop. I have the pot and bracket stashed away somewhere.

#10 ·
This is what I did to modify the 2bbl dashpot that is available. I cut the old original one off the bracket and threaded the new dashpot so I could use a nut to secure it.
It's not real pretty but I think it will work.

Attachments

#11 ·
If you can search some of the automotive flea markets, look for Part # 7026290.
I found this one many many years ago in the original box.
Hope this info helps anyone looking for this hard to find piece.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.