Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Timing cover tube repair

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  mjc707 
#1 ·
66 389 engine and the tube on the timing cover for the water pump plate is damaged. It looks like someone used an epoxy of some sort to repair. I chipped a piece of it off thinking it was sealer. I have seen tube repairs for later years. What would I repair this with. some sort of epoxy or are there sleeves? I have searched and could not find what I needed. Thanks

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Typically, my extent of repair on timing covers is grinding out & filling pits on the hose outlets on '64-65 covers, they don't grow on trees ;)

To repair, carefully clean the previous epoxied area off then carefully grind any eroded cast aluminum areas with a carbide bit. Next, mix up & carefully apply some JB Weld making the area slightly higher than original. In a day, after the JB Weld sets up well, you can carefully dress the area back to original shape & height with the die grinder as well as with sanding discs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.