G8 vs GTO - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > 2004-2006 GTO General Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
G8 vs GTO

What are the opinions of GTO owners, I monitor the G8 board since my wife has a G8 GT, and have noticed that the GXP owners have a bit of a superiority complex regarding the GXP, many claim that the GXP is the fastest Pontiac ever produced, what are your thoughts since this is a GTO forum.

Last edited by canadianGTO; 03-07-2011 at 08:04 PM.
canadianGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

"Most powerful Pontiac ever made" is the title the G8 GXP holds, not "the quickest." We hold that one. We weigh less, and the 25hp difference isn't that much to write home about when you weigh 300+lbs more. Same goes for the Camaro SS...
Poncho Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

The G8 GXP has more horses. But like Dan said it weighs more so the power to weight ratio is won by the GTO.

However both are excellent cars. My cousins husband just got a GXP in November and I'm itching to go over and see it when he takes it out of storage this spring.
LS2 MN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

G8=FAIL. I eat those for breakfast...Those are the poor bastards that jumped on the GTO band wagon too late....Plus we have one thing they will never have. The name sake of the mighty GTO. Just the name GTO commands respect.
BaadFLGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:27 PM   #5 (permalink)

No Pontiac is fail. Except for the G3, I'll maybe give a thumbs down to that. Quality is still probably worlds better than the Chevy Aveo, I'd bet. Pontiac always puts Chevrolet to shame in quality and appearance, even the "corporate" Ponchos. More welds per given area...

A G8 is really a Grand Prix, just as a G6 is really a Grand Am.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

It is good to read others with the opinions that I have, the attitudes of GXP owners just bugs me.

For what it is worth since I own both (G8 & GTO) the G8 has some nice features over the GTO, but the GTO is screwed together better and has a far superior interior.
canadianGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Looking back a the magazine 1/4 mile times, about 13.3 for the 05/06 GTO vs. 13.0 for the G8 GXP. HOWEVER, the stock GTO tires were more all season oriented whereas the GXP had summer tires (all season tires also available but why would a magazine test those).
fattirewilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

The car magazines are professional bench racers. Fastest writers in the country, with a penchant for fellating anything BMW.

Seriously, I'd bet in that same article, they compared it to some BMW, then said the G8 was just a Geo Metro with some gas guzzling V8. Or something to that effect.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

I wonder what G8 owners will do when GM releases the "next" one as a Chevy. You know Holden is going to do it, they need the volume. When the platform goes for a redesign mid-decade it's bound to ship another one over the pond, this generation was cut short due to the death of Pontiac.
LS2 MN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:10 PM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah, good move GM, ditch your best selling brands in favor of your wanker brands, Buick & GMC. With a mentality like that, it's only a matter of time before the entire company collapses, needs another bailout, and churns out even more overpriced uninspired crap nobody wants...

But, but what about China? They sell Buicks there!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > 2004-2006 GTO General Discussion