New Owner questions - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > 2004-2006 GTO General Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 11:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
New Owner questions

Good Evening everyone

I just bought a 2006 GTO with only 44,250 miles on it. I am really happy with my purchase and knew the perks and the downfalls of driving a car with 6.0L V8. I have a few questions to that I would like answered.

Do the E3 Diamond fire spark plugs actually increase horsepower and gas mileage? Horsepower TV and Speed TV claims they do but I would like to know if anyone has tried them and can tell me if they are worth the money. Also is there any potential problems that I need to be aware of?

Does anyone else get a big smile on thier face when you drop the car from nuetral to 1st gear?

Thanks for the help
Dirk
Dirk Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 06:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Hi Dirk, This Forum not real quick on responses ... Im new as well been reading on these cars for weeks , close to pulling the trigger on an 06.
To ansewr your last question , the Chafing of the BCM harness behind the glove box, rubbing of FRC on fuel line Passenger side , and the suspension. In particular the front struts, to name a few. SEARCH is your friend. Good luck with the beast.BTW WHAT COLOR IS IT ?
fittrjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:27 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit News: Oct 21st 2007
Over the years, countless companies have come up with devices claimed to reduce fuel consumption. The claims have ranged from plausible to the ridiculous. For example, wrapping magnets around your fuel line will not double your mileage and the only way you will ever get 200 mpg with a carburetor is to make it so small that air and fuel flow are so restricted that it can't possibly use more fuel than that. Of course your engine would produce so little power in the process as to be useless.

Spark plugs have long been a popular area for "innovation" of this sort. One of the latest comes in the form of the E3 spark plug featuring its DiamondFire electrode. This one falls into the plausible-but-unlikely category. Writer Larry Edsall recently undertook the latest iteration of a 5,000 mile annual road trip and decided to try out the E3 plugs. While E3 claims a 3-5 percent improvement in mileage, Edsall found his dipped from 20.11/19.98 the previous two years to 19.18 with the E3 plugs. He did all the usual maintenance like oil changes and tire pressures before leaving. Of course the vehicle was a year older and more worn which may have contributed to the dip. But even a fully scientific test with two or more vehicles running side by side in the same conditions (aside from the spark plugs) would probably yield a negligible difference at best. The E3 plugs aren't that pricey ($6-7 each) so if you do choose to try them it won't cost a lot. Just don't be too disappointed if you don't see much improvement in mileage.
As far as your second question; I enjoy the car but it isn't the fastest car I've ever owned. I didn't buy it for that reason.
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
HP11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

I thought the FRC issue was on the drivers side near the fuel line close to the firewall?
JohnnyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

It is on the drivers side. It can be fixed with a stainless braided line from marylandspeed for like 20$. Or you could just take a dremel to the FRC's and be done with it. Or just take those ugly things off!
ZEIKE524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

For plugs I'd stay with AC Delco Platinum (original equipment) or AC Delco Iridium (upgrade). Especially of you're stock. The only way you'll get better performance is by parts upgrades and tuning.
Current: MGW-p, H-pipe, SS OTRCAI, Lovell rear springs, Eliminator shocks and Pioneer AVH-P3300BT, JBA LTs+catless mids, Drilled/Slotted rotors, Kooks Afterburners, catch can & Tune Next: ??? Wish list: Intake & TB, modest cam, UDP, gears
BWinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:09 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice

I have a silver 2006 GTO with only 44,500 miles on it. The previous owner took very good care of it. I have been tracking the GTO's since they came out and have frequently visted this website. However owning one and reading about them are completely different. I know the basics on how to save fuel, don't slam on the gas and don't drive like a 18 year old. Thanks for all the advice.
Dirk
Old 11-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Pitt View Post
However owning one and reading about them are completely different.
That is one of the most true statements I've ever read on this site!.......However:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Pitt View Post
I know the basics on how to save fuel, don't slam on the gas and don't drive like a 18 year old.
If saving fuel is of high priority to you you may have bought the wrong vehicle. .....
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
HP11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

In there day they were really fast cars. As usual, hemi's,coyotes, ls3,9,7 have reset the bar. But for ride quality and general all round fun, I love mine. There's a great deal of options as well. And for the money you save on a GTO vs say a camaro, you can really do some upgrades.
ppxstnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Fair point, you have me on that one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > 2004-2006 GTO General Discussion