Quick ! someone sell me on these GTO's - Page 2 - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > 2004-2006 GTO General Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 05:51 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
You are buying into a misconception on this car. This car is a normal everyday STREET car. NOT a race car. Its not designed to take to the track. This car is VERY apt to taking it to the limit for HIGHWAY normal STREET driving.

The suspension? Weak rear springs, poor design from factory result: advanced wear out of tires. Squashed strut bushings? Result from POOR shipping procedures. Over tightening of the front end caused bushings to squash which caused strut rub. HUMAN error not car error. Could this have been better designed? YES. Did every car experience this NO. 43K on mine its perfect. The OEM suspension overall is FINE from factory for normal to slightly aggressive street driving, its NOT fine for abuse or racing. Its not designed to take out and obstacle course it cornering it to its limits.

TOO many people assume because it has 400 HP / TQ you can take it out and beat the living hell out of it with no worries the way its set up from factory. WRONG! These guys who push this car beyond its intended limits are the ones writing on here and other forums bashing the car because it fails here and there and they now have to buy beefed up parts to drive the car the way it was NOT intended. These are the guys that take it to the track OEM, road race it.... and beat it do death.

I've been reading the same complaints for 7 years now. This car is NOT set up to drive the way many assume it is. Once those people invest in the correct set up they find this car on the track is a beast.

Were there issues from factory on poor design and such? YES, just like any other car. My 2005 is holding up just fine. I know others who's GTOS are too. I take it to the limit it was designed for. If I abuse it and exceed the intended use limits then I am in for adding $$ to repair or upgrade. The one common denominator from every gripe is.... PEOPLE DO NOT KNOW this car's limitations. They drive the car applying their personal limitations.

Many of you are buying these things 2-3 owners... YOU are getting the results of those guys beating the pi$$ out of them then dump them. Instead of blaming the morons who abuse them you blame the car.

Want a car you can beat to death from the git go? Buy a vet, a viper, or any-other car like that designed to beat from the box. Expect to shell out the $$ for this.

For the most part.... it ain't the car, its the owners.

I have been and others too. cautioning anyone from buying a used GTO unless you know the previous owner, history of the car and do a full research on it. I have been personally helping a friend find the right one. So far I have helped him avoid 3 that appeared to be great but upon my investigating them just by reading on them they are dogs or dumped ones.

Again DO NOT buy one of these if you are uncertain. DO NOT buy one unless you take with you someone versed on this car. DO NOT rely on a salesman.. they are clueless on this car. This car is a BUYER BEWARE. It aint the car, its the previous owners abuse that most likely is to blame for the "POS" you just bought or a "POS" car from factory.

RED FLAG: Heavy modded car, tuned and upgraded. The car was used hard. Many on here complain they purchased GTO with a locked tune. It ain't running right and they have no idea who tuned it or what was done.... they drove it off the dealers lot cause its a monster..... Now, they find it was not what they thought.... cannot unlock the tune, now what? 3-400 for a PCM... we've seen it here. Heavily modded car= Potential major $$ outgo. Stay away...Unless you know the owner, the history. Don't be the next to write for help saying this POS is gunna cost me $$$. Uncertain? Just walk away.
what a great post...

regular car with a lot of horsepower...some nice factory upgrades from a base car but it is more touring than sports car...it can be made to do much better and all it takes is money (look at Svede's and others)...my 2006 has few options and has caused me little worry since new...far nicer than the competitor at the time (Mustang GT albeit at a higher price than that pony car)...that my brother bought...great advice and great posts guys...

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 06:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (20)
I've had mine for 3 1/2 years now. Bought it from one of my brother in law's clients. The previous owner is a real estste agent who owns several cars. It was never driven hard and it had alll the scheduled maintainence and a couple of issues that were diagnosed and repaired under warranty, all of which were documented. I actually got to drive the vehicle off and on for over three weeks before I made my decision. Other than adding a ripshifter, headers and exhaust system (returned back to stock now, and the system was sold a year ago) a K&N intake and a tune (also removed; reverted back to stock). So now, the only mod is the ripshifter. The only real maintainence I've actually had to do other than front brake pads was change the battery. As mentioned it's a high performance touring car and it does a pretty good job of that. If you're buying it to be a hot rod, street terror, etc.; don't buy it; you'll be dissapointed when the new Mustangs, Challengers, etc. drive around you.
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
HP11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:35 AM   #13 (permalink)

Great responses guys ... Exactly what I was looking for and what I expected. I DID buy the car, 1 owner ( older gent that passed on ) he drove exactly 2000 miles . It apparently sat in a garage for almost 6 years . Changed the oil, new batt & wipers. I do know the limitations and will drive it accordingly . Hell the suspension feels fine to me , I drove the car 200 miles this weekend , GOBBS OF TORQUE ,, I really like it and the sound is great. Interior is awesome too. Only drawback I see is SHIFTER ,I will probably want a quality short shift soon Thanks
fittrjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #14 (permalink)

Can't go wrong with the GMM Ripshifter. I have the street version. I did a few mods early on but everything has since been returned to stock with the exception of the shifter.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

Copy that... Where do I purchase one ?
fittrjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
my gto is such a P.O.S i quite driving it.

just kidding she put up for the winter.
taz4141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:49 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fittrjoe View Post
Copy that... Where do I purchase one ?
I bought mine from a member on NewAgeGTO three years ago. That site is pretty much dead now except for spambots and trolls. I think you can still get them directly from the Ripshift site in Australia but I'm sure they'll cost more than the $200 including shipping that I paid back then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > 2004-2006 GTO General Discussion