Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Snow

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  GobaltSS 
#1 ·
IM BUYING A 2004 GTO 6 SPEED manual AND WAS WONDERING ON HOW THEY HANDLE IN WINTER CONDITIONS.I HAVE A TRANS AM A 1997. SO I KNOW HOW REAR WHEEL DRIVE CARS ARE IN THE SNOW.BUT WITH THE CAR BEING A LITTLE NEWER I FIGURE IT WOULD BE BUILT A LITTLE BETTER FOR THOSE CONDITIONS?

#2 ·
It's a powerful rear wheel drive car.....not good in the snow/wet weather even with the traction control on.

#3 ·
I dont even like to drive mine in the rain. to much going to those back wheels, like he said, even with the t/c on (which makes driving a pain in the a**) as much as I'll miss it. mine will be parked for the winter. Dont even want to try it once on a snowy, let alone icy road.

#4 ·
I don't even like to drive my El Camino in the snow and it's a 110 HP V6..........

#6 ·
Put chains on the rear tires. This is old school and it works. Don't worry about the chains chipping away at the plastic fenders and any damage from them. This is the way it's supposed to be. OR YOU CAN find some LIQUID TIRE CHAIN >>>

This is a little known option back in the stone ages for you youngins:

Rare Options - 1969 Chevrolet Liquid Tire Chain ($23.20)

Just 278 Chevelle, 188 Camaro, and 2,086 Impala and Caprice vehicles were equipped with the Liquid Tire Chain option from the factory in 1969.

A button inside the car near the steering column dispensed the aerosol chemical onto the top of the rear tires. Two dispenser assemblies were mounted in the luggage compartment by Fisher Body and held the canisters. A cap with vacuum hose attachment sealed the compartment. Manifold vacuum activated the spray when the button was depressed. Dow Chemical developed the "traction improver" solution.

Seems like a great idea, especially for cars destined for snowy or icy areas of the country. We hear that it worked better on ice than on snow.

#7 ·
They are getting wrecked fast enough without driving one in slippery conditions. Could it be? Ya, even here in Michigan. Should it be? No. This is one car that if you can't afford a cheap beater you shouldn't get the car.

#9 ·
The only time I drove my GTO the snow was when I drove it home from the dealer. I've seen others throw on Blizzaks have at it.

#10 · (Edited)
My GTO was my DD for 2 years and I put over 50k miles on it. It was driven in sun, rain, and snow.

I tried driving in the snow with my summer tires and got stuck in my experiment. I swapped my extra set of wheels for my all-seasons and was able to get everywhere I needed. At the time I lived in the middle of no-where. Hills, turns, last to be plowed, ect. I was able to plow snow with my front bumper before I started loosing traction.

The GTO is very versitile and by far the best RWD car I've ever driven in the snow(GTO > C5Z06 > 05 Mustang GT and my 97SS that just didn't move in the snow). All of them had stock size tires and very good all-seasons.

I'm driving my C5Z through the snow today in fact. We have about 1" of un-plowed road at my job and my ride home is going to be little more and maybe some ice in the mix with the temps going down a tad.. Granted its mostly flat here but no real issues. I'll post some video of me crusing with no issues under 35mph.

I honestly felt just as safe in my cars as I do driving my friends normal cars.

#11 ·
#12 ·
The OP, who appears to have joined simply to ask the one question, hasn't been back since the second post in this thread......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.