Are they talking out of their butts? - Page 2 - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > 2004-2006 GTO General Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (20)
Quote:
Originally Posted by danfigg View Post
for some one who owned a GTO and doesnt anymore calling it junk should just not post on here anymore.
Don't agree with your assessment. He starts by saying that he liked his GTO. He has reasons for feeling like it was junk. They are well chronicled. Are you saying that we should all be 'fanboys'?
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
HP11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 09:21 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVR LAT View Post
I appreciate the offer, but I think I'll keep my options open...

I do still love the Corvette, but looking at these two pictures, this GTO looks very good (and the GTO picture was taken with my phone)!
I love that color on the Vette.
Current: MGW-p, H-pipe, SS OTRCAI, Lovell rear springs, Eliminator shocks and Pioneer AVH-P3300BT, JBA LTs+catless mids, Drilled/Slotted rotors, Kooks Afterburners, catch can & Tune Next: ??? Wish list: Intake & TB, modest cam, UDP, gears
BWinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
re

sorry you disagree. If his GTO is junk he say why its junk. Is it junk because he has a C5 now. Did he have issues with his GTO what is the deal. This is a GTO forum for GTO owners. If your just visiting then show some manners. Thats all im saying. There is no way in hell that a C5 is cheaper and easier to work on than a GTO -----danfigg
Old 12-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (10)
Garage
He had a C5, that is a C6, what I want.. Love the color. Looked at an 05 and they still want $30K for it with good miles. The GTO is a bigger/heavier car than the Vette, and not being a hater, the GTO won't hang with the Vette. I have a 99 and have lived with problems for years, finally got them all worked out with help from the Vette forum, but parts aren't cheap. I also am on the Lincoln LS forum and complained about the issues. They said, you have a highly optioned car, if you want reliable, buy a Honda Civic.. Stuff breaks.
The 05 is an LS-2, 400 HP, correct? Dealer told me their 05 was an LS-1?
Buy a classic and keep the Vette, then you can have the GTO to. And have a car that won't depreciate if you buy it right.
jetstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (20)
Quote:
This is a GTO forum for GTO owners.
I don't know....you're entitled to your opinion as am I or jpalamar. It's a forum for people with an interest in GTO's. I don't see anwhere that says ownership is a prerequesite.
2014 Kia Rio LX (Wife's daily driver)
HP11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:12 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
sorry you disagree. If his GTO is junk he say why its junk. Is it junk because he has a C5 now. Did he have issues with his GTO what is the deal. This is a GTO forum for GTO owners. If your just visiting then show some manners. Thats all im saying. There is no way in hell that a C5 is cheaper and easier to work on than a GTO -----danfigg
I bought my 04 with 22k miles on it. In about 2 years of ownership I put 60k miles on it. Sold with about 80k. It needed: full suspension, steering wheel trim, CD changer worked when in wanted, key was starting to die, door lock act, 04s didn't have clear on the wheels and they looked bad and needed powdercoated, shift knob sitching faided, steering wheel sitching faided. Somehow my rear seats didn't rip though.

My wife bought her 05 as a dealer demo and sold it at 17k miles. Under warranty it had 4 diffs, window seals, ECU, wheel hub, brakes, rear seats, rear headrests, sagging rear springs, and the list keeps going.

I'm in no way bashing the GTO. It is my favorite car I've ever owned by far. I just can't justify the cost of ownership.

The GTO and C5 are very similar to work on. The C5 trans is a PITA to take off though. The typical wear and tear stuff on the C5 are cheaper by far(suspension and brakes). The Corvette specific common issues are generally cheaper to fix then the common GTO issues as well.

The C5 will destroy a GTO on a track... but thats what the C5 was made for. The GTO is worlds more fun as a DD to enjoy as it is truely the perfect touring car. It is just a well rounded car that is a blast to drive and much more comfortable. If parts were more reasonably priced I would have never sold my GTO.

04 GTO - sold

Last edited by jpalamar; 12-06-2012 at 02:36 PM.
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #17 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
re

Thanks for clearing that up Jpalamar. If I had those issues with one GTO let alone two I think I would not be happy with a GTO. The vette is lighter so yes it will be faster. I could be wrong but the GTO is no different than any other rear wheel drive car. The tranny comes out the same way so if you have to do the clutch its pretty much straight forward. When that time come that is when some things should be adressed such as the shifter, driveshaft loop for drag racers, drive shaft, etc. Most suspension issues can be fixed with bushing just like any other car. The shocks, springs, struts are owner specific meaning if you want the best than you are going to pay. Lastly is the rear differential. That unit in it self can hold some hp, but its the axles and stubs that are next on the list. My GTO has 53000 miles on it and has prove to be realiable. I hada few things fixed under warranty tie rod end, rear springs, radio control on the steeering wheel but my rear seats did rip and they would not fix them. -----Danfigg
Old 12-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

Yea.. my GTO never left me stranded... but everything but the drivetrain failed LOL. GTO trans isn't hard to do but the Vette trans is actually located in the back of the car and a process to remove.

Your one of the few on the OEM suspension. Keep an eye out on your tires because I think any GTO on the OEM stuff is on borrowed time.

04 GTO - sold
jpalamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:34 PM   #19 (permalink)

The previous owner of my car ran it bone stock for 100k miles, I'm pretty much replacing everything suspension wise but the LS1 still runs well and it hasn't left me stranded so I'm happy.
aikidoshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:09 AM   #20 (permalink)

danfigg,

I think he meant the Corvette trans as it is a transaxle and not just a transmission in the C5 and C6...

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > 2004-2006 GTO General Discussion