Traction Problems - Page 4 - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > 2004-2006 GTO General Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #31 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Thank you Gentlemen.
Metallifan, I will review the posts ASAP.
Danfigg, I've been driving and owned hot cars for over 40 years. I know how to launch a car which is one of the reasons my friends had me drive their car when there was money on the line. This car is different. Wheelhop is unacceptable under any conditions. I'm concerned about this condition when I am rolling.
I'll figure it out.
Peter Argese is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #32 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
re

All that means is your friends dont know how to drive, and at this point you dont have the tecnique as well. You can dump thousands into the chassis and get your results or you can learn the technique in launching an I.R.S. car. Obviously your into street racing and this car will not hook on the street unless your running drag radials on at a minimum 17 inch stockers and tection control has to be off. I turned low 13.20 on street tires at Lebanon Valley raceway which is out by you I think. Start by read this article that talks about the launch technique and keep read articles to learn about the suspension. I would say that if you replaced all the bushings in the rear, you should eliminate most of your wheel hope...danfigg

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...4UHNyrPWZDaYig
Old 01-16-2013, 10:10 PM   #33 (permalink)

Bushings

Any suggestions as to what rear bushings and where to get them?
Old 01-19-2013, 10:29 AM   #34 (permalink)

Peter, I have an item called a Chip Daddy installed on my car, when I start the car the Chimp Daddy turns the traction control off for you. If I want it to be on then I have to hit the TC button. The reason for this chimp is most people find that the rear brakes wear out because the TC feature is applying rear brake more often than you think.

This is from Chimp Daddy:

Chimp Daddy LLC works hard to make devices which automate manual processes that otherwise you would have to do manually all the time. We call these “Chimps”. Why continually perform a manual operation yourself when you can get a Chimp to do it for you, right? The Traction Control Chimp is a traction control switch inverter. It defaults your vehicles traction control to “Off” every time you turn the ignition on. The Traction Control Chimp has a built in delay of twenty seconds before the traction control circuit is actuated and turned off. This delay is important because it accounts for possible hard starting conditions. It also gives the vehicles electrical system a chance to power up and
accept the traction control state change.

I also run 18's with stock springs and drag bags installed with only 8 pounds of air pressure. On cold days you are not going to hook up the stock tires, period! In the summer I run some Nitto 275 wide 17" 555R tires and they will help with the launch big time. Sure if I jump on the gas and drop the clutch they will go up in smoke. It is learning that 2000 rpm launch with the Nittos makes for a heck of a launch.

Last edited by 700Rocket; 01-19-2013 at 10:55 AM.
700Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #35 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
re

I thought the TC was part of the drive-by-wire system and when the TC was activated it gives the engine less power and not applying the brakes
Old 01-19-2013, 04:21 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danfigg View Post
I thought the TC was part of the drive-by-wire system and when the TC was activated it gives the engine less power and not applying the brakes
If you have a 2006 GTO owners manual go to page 4-9 and read on. It reduces engine power and applies brakes as needed.

More information from GM:

Traction Control (TCS)
Traction control will not have any effect on the operation of the vehicle until the control module detects one or both of the rear wheels rotating faster than the front wheels. At this time the electronic brake control module (EBCM) will request the powertrain control module (PCM) to reduce engine torque. The last measure taken to control the rear wheels is for the EBCM to apply the rear brakes. Once the rear wheels begin to rotate at the same speed as the front wheels, the system will return full control to the driver. During Traction Control mode, if the brake is applied to only one rear wheel, most of the torque from the engine will be directed to the other rear wheel which will improve the traction of the vehicle.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #37 (permalink)

Thank you 700Rocket. Is there a way to find out if maybe the Chimp Daddy device may have been installed on my car? This might explain what it's doing. Are you saying that you change your wheels to 17" in the summer or that the tires are 17" wide? I am somewhat relieved to hear the car will perform better in warmer weather. I am planning on getting the air bags and appreciate the pressure recocomendation. I am also considering 0 drop springs and neoprene bushings. Your thoughts on that? I tried to check out the tires you run but did not come up with that size. It came up with 265/35R18 as an option. It goes without saying I do not want to make a mistake when I buy the tires. Once again, Thanks.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #38 (permalink)

Peter, the chimp daddy would be plugged into the Traction Control switch in the console. It is a 2" square circuit board with wires installed in between the wire harness and the switch itself.

The Nitto tires I run are model 555R:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...size/275-40-17

The Nittos are for racing not really for a road trip across the country. I drive my car on nice days only and it only gets about 2-3k miles per year. When I am going to play with the boys I install my 17 inch rims with the Nittos and I leave my 18 inch wheels/tires at home.
I have read a lot of good about the zero drop springs but I don't have a set. I have not felt that I need them since I get no wheel hop and I can hook up pretty nice.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:46 PM   #39 (permalink)

Thank you
You and the other folks have been very helpful and now I have some hope that I'll be able to enjoy this car. I will also only take this out on nice days and put on about the same mileage. I have the tire site bookmarked. I believe I will try and fit the widest 18" tires I can get. That make take some more looking into. When it warms up a bit, I will take apart the console and look for the Chimp Daddy. Hope I find one. All I want is to get rid of the wheel hop. If it works for you, the air bags should work for me. I probably will do the 0 drop springs and bushings as well all at once and be done with it. That won't be until Spring. I sincerely appreciate your help.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:38 PM   #40 (permalink)

Finally got to drive the car. You folks gave me some great info. It was 65 degrees, 34 pounds of air in the rear tires and TC on. Much better. Not perfect but much better. I got a hold of the original owner tonight. Wonderful gentleman 73 years old. He told me he put in a B&M shifter, heavy duty traction bar (did he mean torsion bar?) and a reverse switch for the TC like the Chimp Daddy described in earlier posts from SLP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > 2004-2006 GTO General Discussion