Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Anyone have or heard of this???

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  john g 
#1 ·
I Just bought my 06 M6 GTO about a month ago and i have noticed something I havent in any other Manual Trans. Vehicles I have driven. When i shift from 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 I feel this "grinding" in the gearbox or whatever is underneath my shifter? (sorry, im not the most knowledgeable in mechanics...yet) Sometimes it will shift smoothly and glide into gears and others it will feel like it needs to be lubricated or something of that nature. going from 4-5 and 5-6 is very smooth. I have read a few posts on here about our Gearbox being a rough one and such but i wanted to get a little insight as to what this is so that if its something that I can fix now before I run into any problems down the road. The car only has 18K miles on it and was very well maintained. Sorry if this is a repeat post, I just need to get some help!:confused

#2 ·
When was the last time the trans and diff fluid were changed. 18k miles isn't much but it is still 5 year old oil. I noticed a world of difference when I switched to RP trans and diff fluids.

Our shifter does suck really bad. I like the GMM short thoughs but when I see the $350 price tag I'm sad because shifters just shouldn't cost that much.

#3 ·
To be honest, I do not believe it was ever change; That is definitely on my to-do list. I have read the how-to on changing the trans and diff. fluid, but how manageable would it be for some "average joe" like myself to do it? I have always changd my own engine oil and did my own brakes and such but with something like this, i get a little nervous doing it, out of fear that once i start it and i screw up... im stuck :lol:

#4 ·
the trans fluid i not too hard to change out i belive the fill hole is the reverse light sensor. but i would double check on that but i would change your fluid and see if that fixes it.. but most likely it is your syncros need replaced around two hundred bucks plus install.. but better to fix it as soon as possible because if its not fixed it could get costly i need to do the same thing to my car

#7 ·
yes it would and if they try to denie there is a problem take it and get a third party opinion and cram it up there ass! because when i bought my car the second gear syncro was kinda screwed up and they swore up and down there was nothin wrong. fight tooth and nail is all im sayin they are not called the stealership for nothin!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.