Battery Replacement - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 08:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Battery Replacement

For the 2nd time, the lovely Delco has lost charge. As the threads show, finding an "85" is difficult except at dealerships. As the search engine shows, I don't want to go back to delco. So Optima, Duralast, etc are all larger batteries, how do I mount a Optima Red top for example? Does it take another mount or what exactly are those who have replaced with another battery done?
Thanks in advance.
UdnUdnGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008, 09:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

I got an optima yellow this weekend (after 22K miles). They bolted it up in like 5 minutes. The only thing out of the ordinary is that Optima says not to use the battery wrap, so mine's now in the trunk.
LaPuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for your help. I picked up a red top yesterday. I still have to install it, but that won't be a problem if my measurements are right.

Thanks again.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
formerly NJGoat

Garage
what is the difference between red and yellow... the red would match my goat. If i keep it that long.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT Liquid Red, sport & premium pkg, Lloyd floor mats, Pontiac trunk liner, mobil 1 plus Z-Max, VG sharkfin antenna, Volant CAI, Superchips Cortex 93 octane Volant tune, Solo -Performance axle-back exhaust, Solo X pipe, BP-catchcan
NJG8GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 01:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UdnUdnGTO View Post
For the 2nd time, the lovely Delco has lost charge. As the threads show, finding an "85" is difficult except at dealerships.
On the surface it sounds like a bigger problem if this is now a 2nd time your replacing the OEM battery prematurely. When I received a copy of the GMVIS report on my goat I found its battery was replaced with another Delco after the car sat on the lot for 9 months and that was 3 months before I bought her. Now a year and a half has passed with no repeat problem.... knock on wood!

In talking to an ls1 forum member that used to sell Vette's for a Chevy dealer, he said it wasn't uncommon for new car batteries to die on the lot for the most part due to sitting unused. He stated they found one of the odd reasons to be from the proximity of Vette's on the show room floor to their respective car key (with in 20 feet of each other) would cause the alarm system (active or not) to draw more current and drain down a battery rapidly. There's also the issue of being stopped when shutting down the GTO or its lights will stay on if you kill the engine while rolling. With a manual its an easy and mindless thing to do and have done it myself a couple times.

If it were a one time occurrence it could be the battery, 2nd time I'd start thinking its a short or alternator problem of not putting out enough voltage (about 14V) to keep the battery in a fully charged state while driving.... or the oddities above.

Hopefully you have solved the problem with your choice in battery. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

from what I have read...the longer month batteries have more plates inside (this is of course on "wet" batteries) and since the physical size outside is nearly the same...it is more likely that vibration and handling can make these plates touch...end of the battery...so the less long month batteries might do better...I believe the difference between red top and yellow top is the yellow top is a deep cycle battery...I had been told that if your battery or car sits for a time...the deep cycle battery is not for you...this was the reason (so I was told) that GM stopped the AGM (Delco's version of the Dry batter...Glass Mat) batteries for the Corvette C5...just fodder for the mind...
Bill
Old 05-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

By the way, my 2006 sat on the dealer lot (and inside as one of the dealership owner's personal collection) for 15 months...my battery was replaced with a Delco 72 month Professional before I purchased...
Bill
Old 05-22-2008, 05:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Showgoat67 Send a message via MSN to Showgoat67
I use yellow top optima battery for all my cars i love those batteries work really well
Old 05-23-2008, 09:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

Sorry, the battery went dead two times, not replaced two times. I noticed the black indicator also. The battery lasted almost 3 years, I guess that is pretty good for an OEM battery. As explained by the business, red top battery is built for pure starting power. The yellow top is a deep cycle, track cars without alternators use the yellow top.
the Red top went in flawlessly with the additional mount that fit right over the screw and held the battery in place.

Thanks again,
EARL
Old 05-29-2008, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJgoat View Post
what is the difference between red and yellow... the red would match my goat. If i keep it that long.
Really.... as an insider to the audio/performance business.... none! I have yet to see any measurable difference between the two on street vehicles. The red is cheaper, I don't have them in front of me to compare CCA's, but they should be similar, if not identical.

The most common practice was to sell the blue tops, which were marine batteries. No difference between the Blue and Yellow, except for an 18 month warranty on the blue, compared to the 12 month on the yellow. Also, the Blue had extra srew tops for a boat harness, which we always cut/grind down.

If you're serious about upgrading your battery, look at Odyssey, or any other dry "lead" batteries. That's what they use in "real" race cars.... not yellowtops as the ad's suggest. Leave it to Nascar to mis-inform the public lol.
exwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion