does a 3k stall require a tune? - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
does a 3k stall require a tune?

getting a thousand different answered when doing a search but Im getting a trans rebuilt (4L60E) in an 04 GTO and im going with a 3,000 stall circle D converter because the tourqer 2 cam recommends a 3k or higher but my question is will i have to trailer the car home after a stall install as I was told or is that incorrect? i was told a tune must be done before driving it or it would burn the converter up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
No you won't burn the converter up. You'll be fine driving it around.

The worse thing that will happen is you might end up in limp mode if the computer thinks your trans is slipping from the stall. The computer calls it a "non shift". When it commands a shift it looks for rpm drop. If it doesn't happen enough to satisfy the computer it may throw an SES light and possibly disable some functions of the trans like converter lock up. This is easily reset by turning the key off. Or You can tune this function out.

But that usually won't happen with anything under 3,500 stall. There are plenty of people that run a 3,000 stall with no tune.

Besides turning that limp mode feature off, the only thing a tuning for a converter does is dial in the shift point and times.

So i'd say, let er rip tater chip

2006 GTO M6

Motor - Stock with Vararam
Bunch of suspension
Bunch of brakes
Stock tune

365/368 std
12.81 @ 110.6 2.03 60'
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok,will a truck converter work? i bought a 3k stall from a buddy but its a 278mm LS style converter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.