Pontiac GTO Forum banner

Dyno Jet Vs Mustang Dyno

4K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  LOWET 
#1 · (Edited)
I did't realize till just recently about the difference in RWHP results between these 2 dyno's. From what I am finding out is that the Mustang gives you much more accurate real world numbers. There is at least a 10 to 15 percent difference. I had my car tyno tuned a few times on a dyno jet and I was happy with the numbers, well over 435 RWHP. I just had it on a Mustang and the numbers were 398 at 6200 and 385 ft pounds at 4700. It was explained to me that the Dyno Jet is nothing more then a free wheeling system and is not good at giving you REAL numbers but it does give higher numbers . The Mustang takes in to account air temp, rolling chassi weight,power loss from the power train and other items. If this is true. I am sticking with the Mustang Dyno. They claim the Dyno Jet is better for show and tell.

TRUE OR FALSE

#2 ·
The numbers by Mustang and DynoJet are company specific. There was a decent article in HotRod recently on the history of DynoJet.

Comparing one dyno to the other is fruitless. Dynos are for tuning devices. Get a baseline, add your parts, then tune for the best numbers. Whether you tune on a DynoJet or Mustang doesn't matter, as long as when you tune, you stick with the same dyno. I'm no expert, but I think we all know dynos are for bragging rights, no matter the chosen dyno.

Additionally, not all manufacturers use the same dyno, in fact most use a braked dyno directly from the flywheel, producing the "BHP" or "Brake Horsepower" number they advertise with.

http://hotrod.com/thehistoryof/113_0603_dynojet_chassis_dyno

Wanna test your mods? Hit the track.:cool

#3 · (Edited)
DYNOs

I have emailed several tuners in the past month looking for Real information. Some use a Dyno Jet and some use The Mustang. All of them told me I will get a higher HP reading from the Dyno Jet because it is a free wheeling non friction Dyno, where as the Mustang adjust for body weight, HP loose thu the power train and a few other items. And the mustang can simulate a 1/4 mile run that is extremely accurate . I guess I will just bring it to the track next year. as of right now my tuner told me I am behind the wheel of a solid 11 sec car, The HP Numbers are not that high but they were surprised about the torque numbers, Started making good numbers at 2500 RPMs, with the new 3600 stall torque converter torque was right at 350 FT Pounds at 2500 RPMs and just kept climbing from there. it does have a big cam . Over 600 lift., for a A/4 car this sucker just breaks the tires loose big time in all 4 gears. this is the web site of the shop I started using about one month ago
www.mongillomotors.com

#4 ·
I have emailed several tuners in the past month looking for Real information. Some use a Dyno Jet and some use The Mustang. All of them told me I will get a higher HP reading from the Dyno Jet because it is a free wheeling non friction Dyno, where as the Mustang adjust for body weight, HP loose thu the power train and a few other items. And the mustang can simulate a 1/4 mile run that is extremely accurate . I guess I will just bring it to the track next year. as of right now my tuner told me I am behind the wheel of a solid 11 sec car, The HP Numbers are not that high but they were surprised about the torque numbers, Started making good numbers at 2500 RPMs, with the new 3600 stall torque converter torque was right at 350 FT Pounds at 2500 RPMs and just kept climbing from there. it does have a big cam . Over 600 lift., for a A/4 car this sucker just breaks the tires loose big time in all 4 gears. this is the web site of the shop I started using about one month ago
www.mongillomotors.com
Sorry but the horsepower doesn't make it an 11 second car. The driver does. If that's the case my car which was 501.45/480.65 at the wheels must have been an 11 second car or maybe even a high 10 second car. If it was, it wasn't with me behind the wheel. :D Once I get it back together with the smaller blower pulley, blower cam and a new tune, I guess I'll have a low 10 or high 9 second car if I hit my projected 550/550 to the wheels huh? :rolleyes:

#5 ·
Dyno

Have a lot of track time under my belt, but none in the past several years. My shop has a 1/4 mile simulator on their dyno. When it goes back in about a week or so I will give it a run, and just wait till next year to get in on a actual track

#7 ·
Have a lot of track time under my belt, but none in the past several years. My shop has a 1/4 mile simulator on their dyno. When it goes back in about a week or so I will give it a run, and just wait till next year to get in on a actual track
Regardless of what is done on the dyno it can not account for track pep, wind speed, air temperature, traction, inconsitent 60' time, etc. So why waste your time on a pointless dyno 1/4 mile run.

driver mod is the key to making what you have perform to its ability.
EXACTLY!

#6 ·
driver mod is the key to making what you have perform to its ability. just remember to keep the dyno styles the same when comparing numbers and even if possible do it on the same dyno because the small variations in calibration of the same style dyno would lead to different numbers yet close enough to remain in calibration.

#9 ·
dyno

The New Mustang Dyno my shop installed not to long ago can do a lot of items,
Quanify vehicle drive train parasitic losses
Run tests under operator control load based on weight and aero drag loss.
Log multiple data channels including AFR. temps pressures and graph all against power and RPMs. and it's vehicle simulation feature automatically adjusts the load to reflect real world forces your car experiences on the road. plus several other features that puts your car in a real world street situation as close as possible. I got this info off the papers that MD MUSTANG sent me called The Many Advantages of EDDY CURRENT DYNO'S by Mustang

#13 ·
Dyno

I will let you know, the weather should be good on Saturday or Sunday but I won't try it unless the street is completely dry. It should come out with a decent number but I will give it one practice run 1st. This car is pretty sick for a A/4.. My shop is going to post it on their website when the install the intake manifold and injecters . After they tuned it a few weeks ago they took it out for a ride [ driver and passanger ] they told me it got sideways when it hit 3rd and 4th, they thought they must have hit some wet ground. After another run it was not wet ground, just the street tires breaking loose.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.