rear output shaft seal - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rear output shaft seal

I have a stock 06 gto Manual transmission. I blew the rear output shaft seal. I damaged the metal shield that goes around the driveshaft and inside the seal. It has a few bumps. Anyone know how to fix this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 07:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
So what you are calling the "metal shield" is the tailshaft bushing. I'm actually dealing with the same thing. My 1 piece driveshaft vibrating at high speed ate up my bushing and wore out the seal. Trans is now leaking out of the tailshaft.

You can pop the output shaft seal out with a flat head screw driver once the driveshaft it out. Trying to press it back in is tricky but you can do it without the need for specialized tools. The metal bushing is harder as you need output shaft bushing tool or the formal name "Universal transmission extension housing bushing tool".

Here's a link to the tool: (*edit* this is an example of the tool... not the one for our specific t-56)
Save on ATEC Trans Tool T-0160-A at USA Tool Warehouse Automotive Tools

This will allow you to pull the bushing and get it back in properly.

What I'm doing is removing the tailshaft and bringing it to a transmission shop to replace the metal bushing and the seal. They did say it would be around $100 to bring the car in and have them do everything. But I have to put another driveshaft in it anyways and tighten the shifter bolts on my MGW-P, so it's not too much harder at that point for me to pull the tailshaft out. For your situation it may be easier just to drive it to a trans shop and have them fix it.

2006 GTO M6

Motor - Stock with Vararam
Bunch of suspension
Bunch of brakes
Stock tune

365/368 std
12.81 @ 110.6 2.03 60'

Last edited by GTO44; 05-19-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.