where do you bleed clutch fluid - Pontiac GTO Forum
Pontiac GTO Pontiac GTO Forum

» Auto Insurance
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

GtoForum.com is the premier Pontiac GTO Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2006, 06:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (43)
where do you bleed clutch fluid

While having an alignment done I asked my dealer to drain my clutch fluid and replace it with Valvoline synthetic. Well to my surprise they couldn't find a bleeder or anywhere to drain the fluid. It seems like a sealed system. There must be a way to bleed the system if you get air in it. Maybe one of you have an answer. My clutch fluid seems to be breaking down and I would like to flush it out.
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2006, 11:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer
While having an alignment done I asked my dealer to drain my clutch fluid and replace it with Valvoline synthetic. Well to my surprise they couldn't find a bleeder or anywhere to drain the fluid. It seems like a sealed system. There must be a way to bleed the system if you get air in it. Maybe one of you have an answer. My clutch fluid seems to be breaking down and I would like to flush it out.
Here's the procedure for doing that. I didn't have any pics but the bleeder is on the actuator cylinder (inside the bell housing).

1. Ensure the reservoir is filled to the fill line with new hydraulic clutch fluid. Add fluid if required. Use Gm Vehicle Care Brake and Clutch Fluid Super Dot 4 GM P/N 88958860.
2. Press the clutch pedal all the way down to the floor.
3. Open the bleeder <b>on the actuator cylinder</b> to purge the air.
4. Close the bleeder and release the clutch pedal.
Important: Ensure no air is drawn into the clutch system.

5. Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4 until all air is out of the clutch system.
Check and refill the reservoir as needed while bleeding.
After bleeding, pump the clutch pedal several times. If the clutch engagement is not satisfactory, repeat the bleed procedure.
6. If the previous procedures are unsuccessful, perform the following steps.
Pump the clutch pedal very fast for 30 seconds.
Stop pumping and let the air escape into the reservoir.
Repeat this procedure as necessary.

Hope this helps!
edysinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

If it is like the F bodies- it is on the slave cylinder inside the bell housing- BUT it is an extended bleeder that you can get to from the outside. It is located directly above where the hose plugs into the slave on the side of the trans.
Joe
kwiktsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for all of the help.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer
Thanks for all of the help.

Was it where I said? I am curious if it is the same as the F bodies or not- I would assume it is.
Joe
Old 05-12-2006, 11:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

It is actually under the bell housing. As normal the slave cylinder is at the throw out bearing, but there is no way to get to the bleeder without going into the bell housing. What a set up.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wow, that is assinine!! Yeah, same slave as the F body from what I read, but the F body has the exteneded bleeder so you can get it from the outside!! I don't even see how that would work as you have to disconnect the hose from the slave to remove the trans. Odd.
Joe
Old 05-15-2006, 11:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

To make things worse, I would have to remove the aftermarket rocker panels and drop my side exit exhaust so I could get my car on a lift to drop the tranny. This wonderful piece of engineering has me praying the air makes it to my clutch master cylinder so I can get it out of the system.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Garage
You don't have to remove the bellhousing to get to this!!
There is a hole just above where the piping for the hydrolic linegoes in. Use a socket and an extension and bleed it. Don't make it more work then it needs to be!!!
Best E/T 12.6671 @ 110.59 mph w/ 1.8322 60' @ 3775lbs.
www.BuckeyeGoats.com
sable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Okay. I have this same problem. Fluid got low on my daughter's 04 GTO and now there is air in the line and no clutch pedal. Had the car towed home.

Used your information above. Used the caliper nipple to determine the 10mm size. Added an extention and carefully went through the cutout on the side of the bell housing where the line enters. Most of the available space is in front of the line. For about 15 minutes I poked around blind expecting to capture the nipple facing the cutout. Not really enough room on top or behind where the line enters the bell housing. Seems real easy to drop a socket in there.

The day my daugther said the clutch went there was a small puddle under the car. May still have to drop everything and pull the transmission to replace the slave cylinder but was hoping for a little luck.

Seems that there is no Chilton or Hanynes manual for the car. Bummer.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. She doesn't have the money for the dealer to fix it.
Thanks
Gary
kocomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > The 2004-2006 GTO > Service, Maintenance and Technical Discussion