New 67' Lemans owner - Pontiac GTO Forum
User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
New 67' Lemans owner

I have wanted a 67' GTO convertible since I was a kid. Just been a dream car of mine forever. Iíve known for a long time that a 1/2 way decent convertible GTO of that age is going to be more than I can afford, so Iíve kept an eye out for a Lemans as well. Finally had one come up local for a great price and I decided to hop on it and buy it. (probably shouldnít have, but it was too good a deal to pass up)

This seemed to be the place to go for Lemans stuff (even though itís a GTO forum). Im very active in the forums with the other car I own, so Im no stranger to the format.

A bit about the car:
It is a 67' convertible, runs and drives great, little to no real rust (which is a big deal in Michigan). Iím guessing 119k miles as I doubt itís the 19k on the clock. Interior is in very good shape for its age, top works, needs a few things here and there (which I will be researching here soon). Could use all new door seals, suspension is probably shot from what I can tell, but I have no idea how old any of it is. Tires are ok for now.

Has a 350 in it right now with the 4 barrel carb. I did get the numbers matching motor/heads/intake manifold as well when I bought it, so I could always go back to the 326 if I wanted, but Im not planning on going numbers matching or anything like that, so I will just keep the motor around for now. My other car will be faster than this would ever be anyway, so Im not going race car with this, just a nice weekend cruiser.

I havenít had much time to really mess with it yet. Got it last Thursday and have been busy all week getting ready to leave for vacation on Wednesday. So far I have ordered a car cover for it and that it. Need to get it insured, titled and plated here next week so I can drive it.

Well, just wanted to introduce myself before I start doing some reading. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	90737  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Very beautiful car! Congrats! I love the long bodies!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil65gto View Post
Very beautiful car! Congrats! I love the long bodies!
Thanks man. I love the look of the car. She needs some work to look real nice, but that will come with time. As of right now she is just a driver.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 05:12 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
Welcome. Great looking convertible. GTO or not, we welcome all A-body Pontiacs, B-body's when they pop up, and Pontiac questions if we can help.

Hope you keep it a Lemans as all too many do the GTO clone and you do not see Lemans' at car shows. I have a '68 Lemans undergoing the long term resto-mod and building the car the way I want it.

The 350CI is a good engine and with a few tweaks, it can be a good performer for what it is. Once you start getting too big on the HP, the driver aspect of it gets lessened unless you have the fat wallet to feed it gas. Yep, nice to have a car that can shred tires, but also nice to have a dependable, turn key, lets go for a long cruise with the top down car. Had a '67 GTO convert. 35 years ago in my youth. Always had that top down, even on some of those winter days with the heater blowing wide open.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Super car! looks great and welcome....The 326 can run real smooth, a fun car!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim View Post
Welcome. Great looking convertible. GTO or not, we welcome all A-body Pontiacs, B-body's when they pop up, and Pontiac questions if we can help.

Hope you keep it a Lemans as all too many do the GTO clone and you do not see Lemans' at car shows. I have a '68 Lemans undergoing the long term resto-mod and building the car the way I want it.

The 350CI is a good engine and with a few tweaks, it can be a good performer for what it is. Once you start getting too big on the HP, the driver aspect of it gets lessened unless you have the fat wallet to feed it gas. Yep, nice to have a car that can shred tires, but also nice to have a dependable, turn key, lets go for a long cruise with the top down car. Had a '67 GTO convert. 35 years ago in my youth. Always had that top down, even on some of those winter days with the heater blowing wide open.
I do plan to keep it a Lemans, I like the look and it's not a GTO, not going to pretend it is. I wont do much to the 350 most likely. Wouldn't mind a bit more grunt at some point, but like I said I have little mazda that is my race car. This is my top down, go to the beach car on nice days. (But it has to be able to get out of its own way for sure)

Looking forward to projects, I have access to a machine shop, so I will probably make a hand full of parts like I have with my other cars. Right now my account is reeling from just buying the car, so it will be a bit
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's an A - Body, enough said....all are cool and all can be built from cruiser to track bruiser. Drive 'em and enjoy them like they were designed for.

heres my "326"....LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0284.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	91025  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Got the top down, man it looks good with that back. The power works, but just. I need to look at how the mechanism works. It starts folding the lid back, but when its about 2 feet away from the windshield frame, it just stops moving. Sounds like its still running, but no movement. Same thing coming back up. Had to do it by hand until it got close, then the motor worked.

Also, looks like some of the clips on the boot cover for when the top is down broke. I will have to do some searching to find those. Man, that cover sucks to get on but it looks so good.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 04:51 PM

Location: Gastonia, NC - Born & raised in Connecticut - 31 years
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvi View Post
Got the top down, man it looks good with that back. The power works, but just. I need to look at how the mechanism works. It starts folding the lid back, but when its about 2 feet away from the windshield frame, it just stops moving. Sounds like its still running, but no movement. Same thing coming back up. Had to do it by hand until it got close, then the motor worked.

Also, looks like some of the clips on the boot cover for when the top is down broke. I will have to do some searching to find those. Man, that cover sucks to get on but it looks so good.

Pump motor may need some fluid or need to be bled. As I recall, it uses brake fluid, but not 100% sure. It can also be possible that the top material has shrunk and tightened up and could be causing some of the problem - just sayin'. The clips you can get repro.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Well after what seemed like forever to get insurance, title, and registration; I finally drove the car yesterday. 90 degrees out, sunny and I had the top down, not a bad way to go.

I did notice a few things now that I got to drive it. there is for sure an exhaust leak somewhere, Im thinking the gasket at the exhaust manifold to head connection. So I will have to go look for where to get those.

Also noticed the car doesnt have a tach, which is so weird to me, but I guess. I will have to see about adding something at some point down the road.

I want to spend so much money on parts and things, but have to just let the pocketbook settle down after buying the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Pontiac GTO Forum > GTO Forum Discussion > Member Introductions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac GTO Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.